Black Tooth from the west

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
WyomingSummits

Black Tooth from the west

by WyomingSummits » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:37 am

Climbing Black Tooth, a Bighorns 13er, from the west tomorrow as a day trip. Will be scouting the Blacktooth to Cloud Peak enchainment while up there. The enchainment covers the north/south ridge that runs from Blacktooth to Cloud and goes over/around Mt Woolsey, the Gargoyle, and Innominate.....all alpine rock fins at 12-13k. Good Golden trout fishing on the way as well!

Teresa Gergen

Re: Black Tooth from the west

by Teresa Gergen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:54 am

Hope it goes well! I would be interested in seeing photos of the gully that goes up toward Black Tooth from the high lake in the basin to the west. I'm also very curious about if Woolsey would go as an out-and-back from Black Tooth, and at what class rating.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:55 am

Teresa Gergen wrote:Hope it goes well! I would be interested in seeing photos of the gully that goes up toward Black Tooth from the high lake in the basin to the west. I'm also very curious about if Woolsey would go as an out-and-back from Black Tooth, and at what class rating.

Are you talking about the ridge from black tooth to woolsey?

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:07 am

Well, yes, or any line somewhere in the vicinity of the ridge line between them that goes between the two summits, with the intent of summitting Woolsey after Black Tooth, and avoiding a highly technical descent from Woolsey back to the west.

Thanks!

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:26 am

We didnt even get to the base. My partner wasn't even close to in good enough shape to do that kind of trip and he bonked at mile 10 on the way in. I caught some nice Golden Trout in Wilderness basin while he rested for the trip out. If you haven't been in that area, there is a faint trail to the left of Paintrock falls when you're headed east from Lake Solitude. I highly reccomend using the Battle Park trailhead although the access road could be problematic in wet weather if you have a sedan. I'm going to take another shot at it in the near future. I'm not upset.....I have fun regardless, but I was feeling really strong the whole trip.

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 am

Bummer! I hope it works out for you next time.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)