Boots on the Matterhorn

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
timfoltz

Boots on the Matterhorn

by timfoltz » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Im leaving for Switzerland next week to attempt the Matterhorn. Long story short I am flying standby and only want to take a carry on. Therefore I will be renting crampons and Ice axe in Zermatt. I am debating which boots to take. I have a trusty pair of salomans that are my go-to boot for summer colorado 14ers which would require full strap-on crampons. My other alternative are my La Sportiva Spantiks. Im assuming the spantiks are way overkill, however they would enable me to wear newmatic style crampons. Therefore, what are your opinions between the two? Also if anyone can refer me to a climbing rental company in Zermatt that would be great.

Thanks

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Take the Salomon...the Spantik are overkill for this time of the year...you should be fine with strap-on crampons...

Moni

by Moni » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Any sturdy leather boot capable of crampons will suffice. There is some fairly stiff rock climbing as well as snow covered rock that you have to climb, perhaps even in crampons.

I hope you know that there has been a lot of snow up high all summer - I was there just 2 weeks ago and all the high routes were out of condition, because of snow. Go with alternative climbs in mind, if the Matterhorn is too snowy.

Most of the many sporting goods stores in Zermatt have rental gear.

Return to Gear