Bouldering at the gunks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
xDoogiex

Bouldering at the gunks?

by xDoogiex » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:33 pm

I heard that there is some. Is it any good? I'd have a place to stay 20 mins from there if I go out there.
Last edited by xDoogiex on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Is that last sentence really a question?

Yeah, the bouldering is pretty decent. There's plenty below the Trapps.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:23 am

Oops that was a sentence. My bad!

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't boulder (much), but there seems to be plenty of the beanie-and-baggy-pants crowd enjoying themselves at the Trapps. Just follow the carriage road along the base of the cliff and you'll have your pick of problems.

There are likely boulders in other areas (Nears, Millbrook, Lost City, etc.) but I've only ever been to the Trapps, so I don't have firsthand knowledge. Did you search the Route pages at RC?

no avatar
MattGreene

by MattGreene » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:15 am

Alpinisto said it best - just follow the carriage trail along the Trapps and you'll find something. Trouble is, the Trapps gets CROWDED! The good news is the cliffs go on forever. If you're willing to walk, you could avoid all crowds and boulder rocks that, while ignored at the Gunks, would be destinations elsewhere.

By the way, ask your buddy if he'd be willing to sell camping space in his backyard. The Gunks have a sort-of free-for-all multi-use area where you can try to park and camp. I, like most people, would kill to have a quiet, reliable camping place nearby.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 am

haven't checked RC. a friend said he has a guide book he'll let me borrow. if i go it would be in the middle of april. i was hoping to stay at grandma's but she returns like 2 days after i come back.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)