breakfast porridges?...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
hellroaring

breakfast porridges?...

by hellroaring » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm

On multi-day backcountry trips my buddies and I have been cranking up the food dehydrator to dry out healthy homemade soups, spiced up greens, etc. which we then run through a coffee grinder and bag up for the trip. It's healthy, fast, yummy, and EASY (gotta have access to water obviously).

I was wondering if any of you have a good breakfast porridge recipe that we could try out with the dehydrator?? Something satisfying and full of healthy stuff...instant oatmeal doesn't cut. Thanks all!

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:17 pm

I like a muesli mix, added to straight oats, with cinnamon and raisins!
Many variations on it. . .

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 pm

I take steel cut Oats, add raisons, brown sugar and wallnuts when they are almost cooked, then a bunch of frozen blueberries......not sure how this would go through a food dehydrator however?

hellroaring

by hellroaring » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info...sounds like a bit of experimenting is in the work....

Nelson

by Nelson » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 pm

I've been using the Familia brand of muesli on backpacking trips for years. Packs a wallop in calories and keeps me going strong all morning. I personally like the no sugar variety:
http://www.amazon.com/Familia-Sugar-Mue ... 0015Q94NM/

Here is their ingredient list if you want to experiment with it:
Oat Flakes, Wheat Flakes, Fruit Flakes [Wholemeal Flour (Wheat, Rye, Barley), Date Pulp, Apples, Banana Puree], Millet Flakes, Raisins (Vegetable Oil), Wheat Germs, Hazelnuts Roasted, Almonds Roasted.

I love muesli and often have it for breakfast mixed with yogurt and fresh fruit. Let me know if you need a taste tester!

dyusem

by dyusem » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 pm

A great grain that should be included in all diets that require high protein is quinoa; I believe that it has the highest protein content of all grains.

I've never freeze dried it although I've heard that there is a rolled variety that works well with just adding hot water to it so that variety may be the ticket.

woodstrider

quick breakfast idea

by woodstrider » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:22 pm

well- this doesn't need to be dehydrated, but it is still a quick breakfast with alot bang for the buck...

instant mashed potatoes (I like the Idahoan brand) add hot water and then add chunks of butter and cheese. that's it. Yummy.

Spoilage an issue- subsitute oil oil and grated cheese or baby bells (they will keep for a couple of day).

I hear you about having a new "toy" and wanting to try out stuff. Here's an idea I was given.. dehydrated yogurt, apple sauce or jams to make quick breakfasts or snacks that require no addition of water.

no avatar
aemter

by aemter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 am

All good ideas. I'm not a huge fan of raisins, so I substitute dried cranberries (craisins) in my oatmeal. Quinoa is great and does have some awesome protien, but takes a while to fully cook, which can be a problem if you're conserving fuel. You could probably run it through a grinder which would lower your cooking time.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:54 am

Corn Meal Mush is very high calorie and long lasting in the gut. Oats burn up too fast for me. The recipe is on the side of every corn meal box. On longer trips substitute cooking oil for butter. Similar to grits but with yellow corn meal. You have to boil the corn meal for a bit. Looks like you have too much water, then all of a sudden it's very thick.

welle

by welle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:24 pm

I like instant grits with bits of bacon (the kind you get for salad toppings).

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Instant oatmeal with dride apricots or mangoes does it for me. If you're feeling more manly, add beef jerky instead of the fruit.

Return to General