CA DFG President Kills Mountain Lion

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
dadndave
Forum Moderator

Re: CA DFG President Kills Mountain Lion

by dadndave » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Yer right about the legal technicalities and all. He's apparently done nothing illegal.

But really, using dogs to drive a critter up a tree and then shooting it. That is totally effing lame. It certainly isn't sporting.

The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible as Oscar Wilde would say.

BTW, snake doesn't taste like chicken. It's much oilier and slightly unpleasant for that reason. Edible but not particularly desirable. A bit like eating sea mullet.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Anyone here ever hunt mountain lions without using dogs?

I didn't think so.

norco17

by norco17 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 am

dadndave wrote:BTW, snake doesn't taste like chicken. It's much oilier and slightly unpleasant for that reason. Edible but not particularly desirable. A bit like eating sea mullet.

I like the taste of snake. Chicken however is not my favorite.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 am

Maybe it depends on how it's cooked. I dunno. I tried it in Hong Kong years ago. Didn't think much of it.

It's actually something I regretted later, as I discovered that some chinese methods of preparing snake are exceptionally cruel, but I don't know if that was the case with the dish I tried.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

mrchad9 wrote:Anyone here ever hunt mountain lions without using dogs?

I didn't think so.

Apparently these dudes have...all with NO dogs:

Oh, there are many more.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:29 am

Rick have you ever shot a mountain lion without dogs or not?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 am

mrchad9 wrote:Rick have you ever shot a mountain lion without dogs or not?

No and never plan on doing so either .

I have too much respect for the animal.

But, and a bigass but, I have shot and terminated a human or two. Probably even more...Very Bad Men btw that more than deserved the destiny I ensured them. Each time without dogs. Rather with several hundred 660 grain .50 cal projectiles at an exit muzzle speed of well over 1500 feet per second. Some even had a depleted uranium composition (API). Does wonders to flesh & bone when it initially impacts the body. Talk about one shot, one kill. On impact, the velocity of the round completely severs and blows a human skull completely off the torso.

TWOSHUZZ
... Just got an email clarification from buddy. Apparently it was a special lottery held last season for certain zones (Eugene being one of those I guess) where the lion " annual harvest quotas" had already been met and was in the middle of Oct after the annual lion tag purchase deadline.

Oh, my Daughter resides in Portland btw.

The Fall would be best. Got a badass Caddis tie that always gets a hit on each initial cast. No dogs required either.

Back on topic....

Just read that the LT. GOV is the one spearheading the CA D F&G's dudes dismissal. Seems Gavin's nephew is in the running for the position. Imagine that.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:09 am

Thread now cleaned up and returned to California.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:21 am

The size of your dick is inversely proportional to the rarity of the animal you hunt.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:41 am

CSUMarmot wrote:The size of your dick is inversely proportional to the rarity of the animal you hunt.

Lols.

I actually do think this fellow is a bit of a douchebag for killing a mountain lion... I couldn't imagine myself shooting a predator. Even worse I saw one of those big game hunting shows on TV a while back and the hunter nailed a big bull elephant square in the forehead from a few dozen yards away. I found that disgusting- I don't know how else to describe it, but it bothered me for a while.

However...

That just isn't the same as killing someone's kid, or their dog. And these are game animals. Evidently the states have determined a certain number of them need killing to control them (I certainly agree bears need it in CA, you need only compare their behavior in Yosemite versus Shasta-Trinity NF to see that). Hunting them is as good or better way than any to kill them off, and someone's going to do it as a result. Might as well be someone who wants to do it.

As for using dogs... my point there was that none of us likely have any personal experience being out there with a predator and knowing what that feeling is like. Until we do I think it's a bit premature to call this hunter a pussy. Douchebag, sure, that's a judgement call. But he doesn't really seem like a pussy after stalking it for so long.

And he definitely shouldn't resign. He did nothing close to warranting it. Should the fish and game head resign for going fishing out of state and catching fish that are illegal in CA? Just BS cooked up by the anti-hunting lobby. Apparently Gavin Newsom's father was the president of some mountain lion preservation foundation. Biased much?

Damn hippies.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:05 am

These short (avg height of 4'10") Amazonian fierce warriors and hunters that have the faggy holes in their ears, well, they will take down any animal with just their spears, blow guns and knives. They have been known to even take down a Jaguar with only their knife. They have a history of slicing off their enemies face and eating it while their enemy is still conscience to watch.

Oh, NO DOGS or high powered weapons either! Pretty amazing what TRUE hunters can do and have done for centuries.

Let's not forget these SHORT "Bushmen" badasses (even shorter than the dudes above, avg height, 4'8") that do the same and have done so for well over 15 centuries. They must take down a mature lion with only their spear and knife in order to make their passage and tribal acceptance to manhood. NO DOGS!

Point... this thread is complete sustained American biased perceptive bullshit that one necessitates dogs and high powered weps in order to hunt a "lion"

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:58 am

The Chief wrote:

Point... this thread is complete sustained American biased perceptive bullshit that one necessitates dogs and high powered weps in order to hunt a "lion"

The skill these subsistence hunters demonstrate is truly admirable. What makes their hunting ethical in my mind is the fact that it is subsistence. The subsistence factor is critical as I suspect most of these people would use more efficient weapons if given the opportunity. As long as subsistence is the driver and the methods are humane as possible I don't have a problem if dogs, guns, teamwork etc. are used.
Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:13 am

Great point.

I do not believe that the CA D F&G Commission President was on subsistence hunt to support his family or community.

More on a self ego inflating event at a privately owned big game reserve located in the state of Idaho.

colinr

by colinr » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:40 am

SeanReedy wrote: I wonder how much impact any of it will end up having on laws and culture in the long run.

This article has some interesting stats/demographic information on hunting in CA, as well as links to various opinions and details:

Mountain lion photo exposed major cultural shift in California

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_20095676?IADID

This piece (previously posted) has some interesting mountain lion statistics and legal information from around the West. The author opposes a one-size fits-all-situations approach.

Culling Mountain Lions to Protect Ungulate Populations—Some Lives Are More Sacred Than Others

http://www.wildlifemanagementinstitute.org/PDF/2-Culling%20Mountain%20Lions....pdf

sierraman

by sierraman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm

When the cougar hunting ban was enacted 22 years ago the sport was demonized as immoral and unsportsmanlike. To the opponents of cougar hunting, it doesn't matter if its legal elsewhere, its still immoral. It would be like the head of the DEA going to Turkey to smoke hash. Of course the whole affair is pure politics, the only cougars our Lt. Governor cares about are the ones hanging out at the bar in the Fairmont Hotel. There aren't very many cougar hunters in this state, so you can bash them all you want risk free.

PreviousNext

Return to California