California is the Best.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:03 pm

MarthaP wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:In CO's favor though, you can be in big mountains from Denver in about 30min in the middle of the winter. Won't happen here...

Sure, with that Continental snowpack that likes to avy. Prefer to drive a little further and enjoy the Coastal pack myself. YMMV

There's ALWAYS someplace to ski in CO - you just have to be intelligent about it, read the forecasts, and dig a pit. There are avys in CA as well - try that traverse from Alpine Meadows to Squaw sometime, or hang out around Kirkwood.

Besides, the CO champagne powder will beat out Sierra Cement or Cascade Concrete any day.

Never said there weren't CA avys, and I have been to both those areas. I would rather have a few less pow days in trade for more days in the backcountry on a more stable snowpack. Hope more in CA are enticed by that champagne pow and decide to head your way.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Luciano136 wrote:So, I guess the avy comment is outweighed by the excellent powder. Back to even :lol:

Depends on the person, different strokes for different folks

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:14 pm

fossana wrote:
JHH60 wrote:
rhyang wrote:Yes -- please move along to Colorado and Washington .. California is full. Thanks 8)

It's full of a lot of things - don't get me started on Prop 13, initiative insanity, and perpetually broken budget.

True, but CO seems to be catching up. My 36 acre lot in Lyons (stupid impulsive purchase) just got reassessed by the county and I'm looking at paying the same amount in taxes as if I had the land plus a $500K house on it. If, however, I fence it in and let livestock graze on it (instead of elk) then it drops to <$100 a year.

Time to raise llamas?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:16 pm

chicagotransplant wrote:
fatdad wrote:
chicagotransplant wrote:The best part about Colorado? All the people from California are in California instead of here :twisted:

If you rock climb, it's pretty hard to beat Boulder for convenience to the crags. That's about as good as it gets. But the people? I don't know. I think that's a serious detraction. I was considering moving to Colorado way back but met a lot of people with attitudes straight out of Alabama.

I live outside of Vail, we're all ski bums here :wink:

Why waste your money on that boutique sport when you have perfectly good ice to climb!

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:23 pm

JHH60 wrote:
chicagotransplant wrote:
fatdad wrote:
chicagotransplant wrote:The best part about Colorado? All the people from California are in California instead of here :twisted:

If you rock climb, it's pretty hard to beat Boulder for convenience to the crags. That's about as good as it gets. But the people? I don't know. I think that's a serious detraction. I was considering moving to Colorado way back but met a lot of people with attitudes straight out of Alabama.

I live outside of Vail, we're all ski bums here :wink:

Why waste your money on that boutique sport when you have perfectly good ice to climb!

Ha! Ice tools cost more than my skis! - of course that season pass does get a little pricey, so you may be on to something :wink:

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 pm

JHH60 wrote:
fossana wrote:
JHH60 wrote:
rhyang wrote:Yes -- please move along to Colorado and Washington .. California is full. Thanks 8)

It's full of a lot of things - don't get me started on Prop 13, initiative insanity, and perpetually broken budget.

True, but CO seems to be catching up. My 36 acre lot in Lyons (stupid impulsive purchase) just got reassessed by the county and I'm looking at paying the same amount in taxes as if I had the land plus a $500K house on it. If, however, I fence it in and let livestock graze on it (instead of elk) then it drops to <$100 a year.

Time to raise llamas?

I would recommend hiring a qualified Llama Wrangler -- and fortunately I happen to know one such person :mrgreen:

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 am

TheOrglingLlama wrote:
JHH60 wrote:
fossana wrote:
JHH60 wrote:

Time to raise llamas?

I would recommend hiring a qualified Llama Wrangler -- and fortunately I happen to know one such person :mrgreen:

Hey on the Forest Service trailhead registers in Colorado they have a check box under mode of travel for "Llama" - see what a Llama Friendly state Colorado is :mrgreen:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:40 am

I just searched ("wag bag" and <state==(CA or CO)>). CA got 3 times as many hits as CO.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:54 am

squishy wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I just searched ("wag bag" and <state==(CA or CO)>). CA got 3 times as many hits as CO.

So what your saying is California is covered in less @#$%...

Nah, it's just covered with more people who want to take a crap in a fairly restricted area.

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 am

MoapaPk wrote:I just searched ("wag bag" and <state==(CA or CO)>). CA got 3 times as many hits as CO.

When talking wag-bags, shouldn't that be "CA got 3 times as many shits as CO."?

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 am

I've lined in the SF Bay area and Los Angeles, visited CO a number of times on business and pleasure. All I can say is . . . .

[size=18]'Ya can't surf in Colorado ! ![/size]

Dangers Pop

by Dangers Pop » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 am

I've hiked the Canadian Rockies, the Colorado Rockies, the Cascades, the Bavarian Alps, biked and hiked across the south island of New Zealand, hiked in Queensland Australia, toured nearly every national park here, and spend just about every free minute I have in the Sierra Nevada. I tell everyone who'll listen that the most beautiful place I've ever been to is Lake Ediza at the base of Mount Ritter.

I just spent a week in Breckenridge, Boulder, Estes Park, Buenta Vista, Leadville, and Idaho Springs. They're nice, but they've got nothing on California.

Those that choose to live along 395 are truely blessed......

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:59 am

Tastes vary. When I first saw the eastern Sierra, I was amazed how lifeless and barren the area appeared, compared to the Rockies. But I've adjusted.

CA/CO = log(pow(1 + 1/n, n)) as n goes to infinity and log is natural.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:42 pm

chicagotransplant wrote:Hey on the Forest Service trailhead registers in Colorado they have a check box under mode of travel for "Llama" - see what a Llama Friendly state Colorado is :mrgreen:

Oh ? :D Packing my bags now .. :mrgreen:

pyerger

wyoming

by pyerger » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Being a MOUNTAIN web sight , I would say CA. has nothing over the awesome, and remote mountains of wyoming. Tetons, yellowstone, and best of all the wind rivers. The wind What?

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander