Camera (point and shoot/travel) 2015

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Tonka

Camera (point and shoot/travel) 2015

by Tonka » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:35 pm

It's been a while since we've rehashed the digital point and shoot subject and I've been on too many trips lately carrying a bad camera and coming home with bad pics. Admittedly I think I cheaped out when I went with a Canon Elph but my past couple Cannons were good and I really liked the size, but the landscape pics suck. It has also developed a spot in the pics which is happening internal so I need a new camera. With a trip to Yosemite in two weeks and Chamonix in August I need to make a decision.

I'm looking for something that's easy to use, light (pocket), good zoom with some ability to control. I'm no photog so sensors and f-thingies don't mean much to me (any help would be appreciated). Here are some that I've been looking at but it's getting overwhelming.

Power Shot - SX600, SX710, N100
Canon G16
Sony RX100
Lumix line

I'm a value guy so I think something up my alley and on sale will win the day. Looking to stay under $400 or so but will pay for the right camera.

Thanks,

beean

Re: Camera (point and shoot/travel) 2015

by beean » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:27 pm

I think that you could cut the RX100 and G16 off your list if you're not a f-stop kinda guy. To get the most out of a camera like that it's worth delving into the manual mode.

I'd throw the Olympus TG series into the ring, I'm not sure what model they're up to but I had one and it was a great point and shoot. A little bulkier than most however it's tough and takes quite good pics.

Alternately you could get a RX100 and learn about ISO's and whatnot, but then you'll end up purchasing a SLR and spending more money than you want to :P

The following user would like to thank beean for this post
Tonka

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:29 pm

beean wrote:I think that you could cut the RX100 and G16 off your list if you're not a f-stop kinda guy. To get the most out of a camera like that it's worth delving into the manual mode.

I'd throw the Olympus TG series into the ring, I'm not sure what model they're up to but I had one and it was a great point and shoot. A little bulkier than most however it's tough and takes quite good pics.

Alternately you could get a RX100 and learn about ISO's and whatnot, but then you'll end up purchasing a SLR and spending more money than you want to :P

I do like having some control options and would like to learn a little more so having the potential would be nice. I have also looked at the TG but you're right, it's bulky and size is high on my list.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:27 pm

I have a Lumix that I like quite a bit. It has top quality optics (Leica lens) with 10x optical zoom. It has auto and manual modes, I keep it in auto all the time. It is easy to hold even with gloves which is important to me because I am pretty clumsy.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Tonka

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:59 pm

+1 on the RX100 (Sony) - this is an incredible little camera - an exponential leap beyond anything else in its size/category. It is impossible to not be thrilled with this little thing. Pretty much any other handheld Sony (Cybersh*t) is garbage, but the RX is in a class by itself

The following user would like to thank sharperblue for this post
Tonka

OwenT

by OwenT » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:18 am

sharperblue wrote:+1 on the RX100 (Sony) - this is an incredible little camera - an exponential leap beyond anything else in its size/category. It is impossible to not be thrilled with this little thing. Pretty much any other handheld Sony (Cybersh*t) is garbage, but the RX is in a class by itself

Ditto, great camera, great pictures. It probably has a lot of features that are more than you need/want but if you ever want to take things to the next level it's all there. There's currently 4 editions of the RX100, you won't miss any of the features that are on the newer ones so go with the first, probably can find one for $300 or less. Possible cons for you are its size (fits in pockets, but snugly), also it's not as rugged as some compacts (not necessarily water or shock resistant).

The following user would like to thank OwenT for this post
Tonka

radson

by radson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:03 am

I have the RX100 II and yeah its ok but bloody hard to use with Gloves on. The latest version of the RX 100 which has just come out is supposed to have an incredible sensor. Have you considered the Panasonix LX-100?, looks a lot better ergonomically than the RX100.

For decent mountain pics, ala dawn and dusk shots consider the maximum aperture of the camera and stabilisation as well. Really can make a difference.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
Damien Gildea, Tonka

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:14 pm

I just bought a new camera myself, and after looking into the options I settled on a Canon SX280 HS.

Basically I was looking for a small, lightweight camera with which I could still make good pictures on my trips to the mountains. My previous one was a Canon SX230 HS. Sure, it had some shortcomings, but you can't expect everything from a lightweight camera and overall I was quite happy with it until it seriously started to deteriorate by the end of last summer.

When I don't have the time to fiddle around, pictures taken with the auto setting are mostly somewhere between decent and pretty good. It depends on the actual conditions of course; sunset or sunrise pictures for example are simply bad when taken with auto. But landscapes don't go away, which means there is time to fiddle, and I've experimented with many of the options. And though sunsets and sunrises pass quickly, there is ample time to prepare and be ready for the moment - the main thing is to underexpose heavily, and that's easy to set ahead of the moment.

The 280 succeeds the 230, so when I started looking for a replacement, it was the natural one to consider. I looked at Canon as well as other brands, but I didn't find anything that I liked more.

To be honest, the G16 is a better camera in many ways, including battery life and image quality, to name the two points that I find most important. But the SX280HS is much smaller and lighter than the G16 and that matters more to me. It's much cheaper too, though that's not my main consideration.

To get back to the two important points: Ever since I ran out of juice on my first trip with a digital camera, I pack several spare batteries. You never know how many pictures you want to take until the next opportunity to recharge them presents itself. And since the image quality of the SX230 HS was good enough for me, I expect no less from the 280. Finally, a minor feature that I appreciate is the GPS in the 280 (the 230 had that too). I don't always use it (it shortens battery life), but regularly I find it convenient to have coordinates with my pictures.

Good luck on making your choice.

Cheers, Rob

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Tonka

Kai

by Kai » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:30 am

The following user would like to thank Kai for this post
Tonka

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks all! Can't deny the reviews, censor size and all around thumbs-up for the Sony RX100 so that's what I just ordered. I'll put an update out after my trip to Yosemite next week.

Return to Gear