Can't get photo urls anymore

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Can't get photo urls anymore

by Scott » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:38 am

I can't get photo urls to post photo links to the forum anymore. It used to be simple. You would right click and get the url. Now I can't figure out how to do it at all.

What happened?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Can't get photo urls anymore

by Matt Miller » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Anywhere on the site where you see an image embedded you should be able to right click and select "Copy image address."

If you're referring to image pages, the ability to "Save" the image to a list has prevented right-clicking on the images. But if you right-click on the link "VIEW HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE" in the top right corner of the page and select "Copy image address" that should work for you.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Matt Miller wrote:Anywhere on the site where you see an image embedded you should be able to right click and select "Copy image address."

That's how it used to work, but it doesn't work for me anymore on either computer. The choice for copy image address is gone.

But if you right-click on the link "VIEW HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE" in the top right corner of the page and select "Copy image address" that should work for you.

Yes, I noticed that it gives you a url when you do that, but it isn't a url that is postable to a lot of forums. It seems to work on SP though, so I guess that's OK.

I don't know why it doesn't work now, but I used to be able to post SP photos to other forums. Perhaps that's not a priority now though.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 am

Scott wrote:I don't know why it doesn't work now, but I used to be able to post SP photos to other forums. Perhaps that's not a priority now though.

We changed the way images are served from SummitPost. In order to post an image anywhere else on the web, you will have to copy the exact URL of that image. For example:
https://sp-images.summitpost.org/102817 ... 9d788dc14a

As mentioned before, you can right click on any image embedded in any page on SummitPost and get an option to "Copy image address" and that will work. However, if you aren't getting that option, then the image is a "background-image" for some HTML element and the image is specified in the CSS so you'd have to look at the HTML/CSS to get the image URL.

And as also mentioned, you can always go to the main image page and get the URL from the link in the top right corner "VIEW HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGE".

Return to Site Feedback