Carrying out our poop on Aconcagua

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
bande

Carrying out our poop on Aconcagua

by bande » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Trying to understand the requirements for poop collection.

Is there any outhouse type facilities at all. Or are we carrying out our poop from day one through day 16.

We will be doing the traverse route.

Not sure if I'll bring a poop tube to stuff the plastic bags in or just plastic bags for the plastic bags.

no avatar
marionbraun

carrying out poop on aconcagua

by marionbraun » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:56 pm

You have to contract with one of the service providers to use their toilets up to the base camps, after which you're given a rubbish bag for the rest of the trip (by the park rangers). This has to be returned with something in it (it's not inspected!) when you get back to a base camp, and you're given a signature that you've complied. With the thousands of people trying to climb the mountain each year, believe me it's necessary - go behind any large rock and you'll see the frozen/dried remains from the years before this was brought in. The stuff just doesn't get processd at this altitude and climate. If it's any consolation, it will usually freeze quickly and stay frozen until you're down. Plsatic supermarket bags are light and big enough to aim straight andtie off, and they give them away about one bag per two items bought in any of the large supermarkets in Mendoza

no avatar
bande

by bande » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks. I'm all for carrying it out and understand the reasoning. Just trying to make sure I have enough bags and a pleasant enough way to deal with it.

William Marler

by William Marler » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:39 pm

The poop thing is not a big issue. There are latrines up to the base camps on the either side of the mountain. (Although not at Casa Piedra). Above base camp. Just double bag it in supermarket bags. Build a small cache where it will freeze. Then bag that and put in the bag they supply you (numbered) and pack it out on the descent. They take it from you at base camp so you really only carry it one 1/2 day on your way down. Just bring lots of your own supermarket bags with you. Mendoza has them as well. Happy trails. Cheers William

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:43 pm

William's idea is a good one. Otherwise, you're carrying that damned thing with you all the time (and keep in mind the bags aren't too thick either). I knew more than one climber whose poop bag had an accident :shock:.

Despite the use of the bags, it's pretty nasty on parts of the mountain. BUt it's a step in the right direction, so please use them....

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:49 pm

Like William said on the Vacas Valley side there are latrines at Pampa Lenas, Piedra and Base Camp although the Piedra one sat on a 30 degree slope making it difficult to keep your balance.

At base camp you can use the latrines provided by your mule service provider if you used one. They also carry our your garbage at the end of the expedition but you'll need to have the manager sign your permit stating that they are doing it.

On the upper mountain most people I saw prefer the white supermarket of kitchen garbage bags. Leave them at each camp on the way up and collect them on the way down. When you report back to the rangers at base camp on your way out ask them which barrel you should place it in. The park flies the crap out on a regular basis.

Sara_Matisse

by Sara_Matisse » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:02 pm

We did the same as William suggested... Left a bag at camp 1 (Polish Traverse Side) and picked it up on the decent... Most people do this...

I would also suggest grabbing a few wag bags from the sierra to use... much better system and a lot safer than the cheezy bags they provide... :shock:

Return to South America