Chamonix...summer solos for a climber/photographer

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mountaindog

Re: Chamonix...summer solos for a climber/photographer

by mountaindog » Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 am

I suggest stopping by Mario Colonel's (famous French mountain photographer's) Shop not far from McDonald's and tell him Chris from NM sent you. He is a super guy and is full of suggestions.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 am

Dogfish wrote:Cosmiques...i would like to do this as part of a traverse of the valley blanc to the torino hut,(or poss bivy even better) then get a route in the next day before returning the same way or gondala depending weather fatigue etc etc etc

Domes de Mirage long looks good if light winds and good snow

Frision roache rock climb on the brevant...(got rained off the first pitch 10 years ago)
Forbes on the Chardo
Courtes (only if my partner is keen and experienced)
Moine
Three monts....if acclimatised and bon temps.

Shaun, you should think what grade you want to attempt in MB Massif. Many of the routes that you have said aren't graded PD as you asked in your first message

Dogfish

by Dogfish » Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi Diego

Yes iam aware the routes suggestions are not all PD as in the original post but as i said the nature of the trip has altered....ive started climbing more and would like to possibly do a few more challenging routes on the trip as well as PD and photography

the Frision Roach on the Brevant gets TD- but its not really an alpine climb more a sport climb...bolt were it gets tough and only the opening slab is 6a...a more accurate grade would more likely be 5+

Forbes is a steady AD in good conditions
Courtes another AD poss AD+ escape slightly awkward should the weather change quickly

Moine is another rock route about AD/5

3 monts not sure is that AD or PD?

all off the top of my head examples of the sort of things id like to try; weather partner, acclimatisation, etc etc etc will decide the actual grade chosen the days before whoch might not be any of the above.

I should add this will be my 5th time in Chamonix

Previous

Return to Europe