Chimborazo / Cotopaxi huts closed?!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
da9thrower

Chimborazo / Cotopaxi huts closed?!

by da9thrower » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

I am trying to find a guide for a climb of Chimborazo and Cotopaxi around New Years. One company just told me that the huts are closed on those mountains, and climbers have to bring in tents. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Boriss Andean

Re: Chimborazo / Cotopaxi huts closed?!

by Boriss Andean » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 am

Cotopaxi and Chimborazo's refuges never close, especially during those days/season. This is when they get most of their guests. Most of the Climbing Agencies start booking a spot for their clients even two months before Christmas and New Years eve. It seems like there is not room left for walk ins on those days already . It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a tent, just in case.

no avatar
da9thrower

by da9thrower » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 pm

That's what I thought. We have been emailing back and forth for several weeks. This guide also said Whymper specifically is closed until June 2013.

Boriss Andean

by Boriss Andean » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 am

da9thrower wrote:Whymper specifically is closed until June 2013.

You were right, Whymper and Carrel Refuges in Chimborazo are already closed. They are being remodeled since Dec 3rd. Hopefully the jobs will be done by June 2013.

http://www.ambiente.gob.ec/iniciaran-tr ... himborazo/

Cotopaxi's refuge will continue open as usual, especially on Christmas and New Year's eve.

Return to South America