Chinese close Everest

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
radson

Chinese close Everest

by radson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:22 am

This certainly makes things interesting for our little expedition.

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17091

Global_09

Sorry to hear this

by Global_09 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:04 am

I think now more than ever we can see the authoritarian nature of Chinas Communist Party and their stringent control of the country. While this would be unimaginable in the US we must realize that the rest of the world does not share our liberal political ideologies.

I can say in full confidence that the China Tibetan Mountaineering Association has nothing to do with this. Although I base this off of speculation I imagine how sorry and embarrassed they must feel to give this notice. Remember they are climbers like us, and I am sure that the people who made this decision were not climbers.

I condemn these actions however I think it only adds to the adventure and experience of climbing in the Himalayas. Would Everest be the same if the bureaucratic process was as smooth as it is in the US? Maybe this only further adds to the allure and challenge of Everest.

Global_09

Another Article

by Global_09 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:16 am

Another more in-depth article on the same subject by Explorers Web

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17097

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Looks like the PRC is tired of Westerner's coming around their home turf and "Spraying" about freedom and politic's. It's their side of the "Hill" and now the consequences of the protestor's actions will be felt. I recommend that in the future, folks just go and climb, enjoy the "Hill" and keep the politic's to themselves.

Be grateful that the PRC will open it up in May. This may be a sign that if they see anymore protesting BS in the future, they may just close the entire North side access down completely.

I always say, do not f#&k with the "Hornets Nest". Be quiet, gentle, climb around it and enjoy the view. You mess with the Hornets Nest, you will most assuridly have a very bad day. In this case, the PRC are the Hornets. :wink:

radson

by radson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:42 pm

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:05 am

mattb19 wrote:
The Chief wrote:Looks like the PRC is tired of Westerner's coming around their home turf and "Spraying" about freedom and politic's. It's their side of the "Hill" and now the consequences of the protestor's actions will be felt. I recommend that in the future, folks just go and climb, enjoy the "Hill" and keep the politic's to themselves.

Be grateful that the PRC will open it up in May. This may be a sign that if they see anymore protesting BS in the future, they may just close the entire North side access down completely.

I always say, do not f#&k with the "Hornets Nest". Be quiet, gentle, climb around it and enjoy the view. You mess with the Hornets Nest, you will most assuridly have a very bad day. In this case, the PRC are the Hornets. :wink:

That is the attitude to have. Lets all just pretend everything over there is wonderful and great so we can climb a mountain. I am not going to say that we have to force democracy on them but we should at least acknowlegde the ridiculous behavior of the PRC. If helping a few million people out shuts down Everest then so be it. I hope it all works out in the end but lets not pretend things are peachy.

No.... there are thousands of other hills on this planet that afford a greater challenge than the "Big Easy". And many of those DO NOT cost a dime in Permit fees to climb other than some good old hard work.

Like I said, it's their country and they can do as they wish.

Screw the PRC and Everest. Some of ya's act like it's the only hill on this planet. Move on...

radson

by radson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:30 am

Deb

by Deb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:15 am

A friend of mine just flew from Seattle bound for China for an attempt on Everest from the Nepal side....understanding that South Col is closed until 10 May; it sounds like a brutal race with little acclimitization from base camp. Guess I'm not too up on Everest's geography. I wish Doug and his team much success and safe return.

Proterra

by Proterra » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:14 pm

I just read about it in the news, nothing mentioned on PnP yet though, except for some free Tibet hippies...

Anyways, how it was brought up in the news over here was that the PRC "requested" Nepal to close the south side of Everest. "requested" because China is Nepal's second largest trade partner, and Nepal not acting to the PRC's wishes would mean severe blow to Nepal's economy. Agreeing so, means the same, but on a smaller scale, mainly the Khumbu area which is highly dependent on Everest tourism.

Although i agree with the Chief on the fact that "it's their country" i think that the PRC goes way too far in economically blackmailing Nepal to act to their wishes.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:29 pm

It sounds as though Nepal is going to be issuing permits. I am not sure whether they will block out the window from May 1-10 when the Chinese will t be making their attempt or not.

Here is the latest update from the IMG teams that are starting on the Nepalese side: http://www.mountainguides.com/everest-south08.shtml

radson

Permits

by radson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:23 am

Greetings from Namche Bazaar. We have our permits, we are still unsure of what the ministry of silly rules have dreamed up for us when we get there.

Return to Asia