Chocolate Mountains climbing history.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Rose Hein

Chocolate Mountains climbing history.

by Rose Hein » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:54 pm

In the past 4 years, I've hiked out to the crumbling western escarpments of the Chocolate Mountains. They are small, two to three thousand foot peaks of little provenance--peaklets with a rise of mere hundreds of feet. The rock is absolutely terrible and most of the peaks lie withing the Chocolate Mountains Areal Bombing Range, and thus have been off limits for half a century.
However, I can't help but wonder if these obscure, fragile peaks have been climbed.
On one small hill by the county road, I once discovered a cairn on the summit. Other peaks appear to have been surveyed, but I can't find much on the range's climbing history other than its extreme Eastern reaches where they are open to the public.
Does anyone know anything about these peaks? Is there any history of climbing in the area? I've done some, so its fair to say that others have done some, but there are peaks out there that would be truly difficult to climb--and probably not very fun due to the rocks very poor quality.

Return to California