Christmas was good to me, now I need help

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
woodsxc

Christmas was good to me, now I need help

by woodsxc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:16 pm

My little brothers got me a set of Metolius Rock Rings (thanks guys, you hit the nail on the head) and now I need some engineering/construction advice.

I'm going to mount them in my basement. The basement once was a young boy's dream, no carpeting, just cement ceiling and walls, exposed 2x4 framing on the ceiling, and some uncovered I-beams for pullups. Unfortunately, it got finished a couple years ago, carpeting put in, drywall installed, I-beams covered. The punchline is that I'm having trouble finding a good mounting place for the rock rings. The basement ceiling doesn't touch the framing of the ground story's floor, thanks to the duct work that got installed.

What's a boy to do? I can't very well start drilling holes in the ceiling hoping to get lucky, and I can't put the rings anywhere else in the house. Please help.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:00 pm

If you don't want (or are not allowed) to do anything with the drop ceiling, you'll need to make or buy some sort of free-standing structure on which to hang the rings.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 pm

got a high outside deck that you can hang them under? What about a doorway?

DBaker

by DBaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I built a free standing thingy in my backyard for my rock rings and training with ice tools. Just two 10' 4x4s sunk 2' deep with a bag of concrete each and a 2x6 as a cross member-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Cliffswallow/IMG_0773.jpg

Maybe something like that but with a foot instead of concrete?
Last edited by DBaker on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:07 pm

I realize this probably doesn't give enough room... but have you seen how the "perfect pull-up" setup works? My internist swears by this gizmo as being very secure.

Return to Gear