class 1-2 mountains

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Basham

class 1-2 mountains

by Basham » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:00 pm

I'll only do class 2 if I have somebody to ' show me the ropes' and make sure I don't do anything stupid and get myself injured/killed.

Marmaduke

Re: class 1-2 mountains

by Marmaduke » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:50 pm

You don't use a rope for class 2.......... and there's hardly a class 2 around that you could die on while walking/hiking.

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Basham

surgent

by surgent » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Mostly, class 2 deals with off-trail hiking, cross-country navigation, bushwhacking, things like that. Yes, it's doubtful that a fall would be deadly, but getting lost could be the biggest concern.

You can hedge your bets and gain some skill by choosing a peak where the route is short, and/or there is some failsafe navigation item such as a river or even a highway that you know would lead back to your vehicle should you get lost.

As you hike such a peak, stop often to look around. Train yourself to see landmarks, especially behind you (as this is what you'll see coming down, probably in different lighting). Also, learn your pace so you can reckon distance based on your walking pace. Have maps and GPS and learn to use them as well on these short "training" hikes.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
Basham

Basham

by Basham » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:19 pm

That means that I did class 2 going over the boulders near the summit and class 3 going around the snake.

Basham

by Basham » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:06 pm

I think (give your opinion) I could do class 3 with some help. Any suggestions?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Basham wrote:I think (give your opinion) I could do class 3 with some help. Any suggestions?

It really is more about your comfort zone. I started out thinking class 3 was a bit a bit much for me. Give yourself some time, various hikes will let you become comfortable with various class 3 routes, you will become more confident. There's not too much (my opinion) to really learn with class 3 routes, just common sense in making sure hand holds and foot holds are secure.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)