Climbing Business

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
mbmsfreerider

Climbing Business

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:58 am

So Recently I had to make a company logo in my computer graphic arts class and I decided to make a climbing company logo. My friend who I have taken climbing said I should make it a real company. I don’t have the time or desire right now to think about that even though I love business and marketing. Anyway he and I were talking about it hypothetically and we came up with some things that I thought you guys might have an opinion on.
First off would be the importance of certification such as AMGA. Is it a must for a new instructor? I someone put together a small rock climbing school would having the cert. make or break them? And I guess the biggest indicator would be…Would you take a class from someone who wasn’t certified?
Next would be the demand. I actually feel this to be one of the least worrisome problems in our hypothetical business. The business plan was based around me teaching lessons that included introducing people to outdoor climbing and giving classes for outdoor toprope anchors. We felt that the demand and method to get customers would be easy. We would follow a standard curriculum for the classes but dramatically reduce the price. REI gives private lesson for rock climbing for $230 for 4 hours. Since I’m not a big company I could deal with making about half that for 4 hours.
Age is also a concern. Would anyone in their right mind take a class from a 17-18 year old? Obviously you don’t know the exact age of many instructors but I’m guessing a lot of people wouldn’t feel comfortable with someone so young.
So obviously this is hypothetical and I have no plan to try this in any way but I thought you guys might have some interesting feedback. Like I said it would be a simple company with a few classes teaching basic rock movement, proper belay technique, commands, toprope(probably bolts and natural) anchors, and things like that. Definitely not lead climbing.

Thanks Everyone

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:47 am

Liability, insurance, business license.

Your profile doesn't say where you live. Around here there are several clubs that will teach basic rock climbing.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:16 pm

we thought about the waiver and a business license is easy o get but yes insurance would be an issue. I live in San Diego

Return to General