Climbing product placements in tv/movies

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
ExcitableBoy

Climbing product placements in tv/movies

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 am

I'm sure anybody who's watched the movie 'K2' noticed the heavy The North Face product placement and 'Vertical Limit' with Arc'Teryx, but anybody notice 'Spaceballs' used Thermarest Ridgerest sleeping pads as the interior walls for spacecraft? I've noticed other space shows use them as well. Also noticed a cop on the show 'Life' using an MSR Pocket Rocket to melt down a slug to recast it as a fresh bullet. Yes, I've been watching a lot of TV lately.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Andrew Rankine

aran

Re: Climbing product placements in tv/movies

by aran » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:49 am

The first two don't sound that strange or unlikely, but Spaceballs!? And that last reference is just outright bizarre! I suppose it wasn't too windy 'cause otherwise that alchemy might have taken a loooooooong time. ;)

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am

I think it was Dennis Quaid in The Day After Tomorrow, was in Antarctica doing research when a giant crack or something opened up and nearly swallowed him? He clawed his way out with a 80s/90s yellow straight-shaft Charlet Moser Pulsar.

Didn't an 80s James Bond movie have him using an early model camming device? Rigid Friend etc?

mvs

by mvs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:18 am

Whoa, I'd love to know the Bond movie that had that!

Jukka Ahonen

by Jukka Ahonen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am

I would not be surprised if the next Bond movie featured more climbing. After all, the movies have always portrayed some contemporary, fashionable sport in each of them. Downhill skiing, parkour, jet skiing, the list goes on... maybe bouldering or slack lining in the next one ;)

desainme

by desainme » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:05 pm

my favorite was the bolt gun in Vertical Limit

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:I think it was Dennis Quaid in The Day After Tomorrow, was in Antarctica doing research when a giant crack or something opened up and nearly swallowed him? He clawed his way out with a 80s/90s yellow straight-shaft Charlet Moser Pulsar.

Didn't an 80s James Bond movie have him using an early model camming device? Rigid Friend etc?

Yes. Bond was rope soloing up a cliff to reach the bad guys hideout. Best part was the bad guy down climbed and knocked out his pitons with his gun and Bond used his shoelaces to prusik back up. There as orginal rigid stem Friend used as well.

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Nothing is funnier than seeing the main characters in Hollywood climbing movies with a brand new figure8, a whole bunch of brand new carabiners and a few brand new cams hanging from their harnesses. I think they would be a little more credible if they just drag the brand new gear in the dirt first.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 am

For sheer silliness (no pun intended) you have to love Star Trek V, which starts with a scene of Captain Kirk free soloing El Capitan. Around his waist he's wearing what appears to be a BD Bod harness with the leg loops and equipment loops cut off to hold his chalk bag on, and some flavor of BD biner clipped over the waist loop but not attached to anything in particular. Why use a modified harness as a chalk bag belt? Perhaps it's because it's rated for the shock load if the girdle holding Shatner's gut in were to fail.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
aran

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:41 am

ExcitableBoy wrote: Also noticed a cop on the show 'Life' using an MSR Pocket Rocket to melt down a slug to recast it as a fresh bullet. Yes, I've been watching a lot of TV lately.

That's funny, I just completed season one on netflix.

I'm sure most everyone has seen this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo[/youtube]
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Ripthejacker

by Ripthejacker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 am

Mission Impossible 2 opening credits climbing scene had quite an opportunity to do it but didn't...Well he free solo'd the whole crank, so the only product they could have placed were his shoes and chalk bag.

Return to General