Communicating under tough conditions

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
infinityjellyD

Communicating under tough conditions

by infinityjellyD » Fri May 20, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm curious to hear people's systems for communicating on alpine climbs, especially in tough conditions.

As a backdrop for this question: my alpine experience has so far been limited to good conditions on clear days with light-to-moderate wind. I could hear my partners. Likewise ice and rock climbing ventures: good(ish) weather and relatively short pitches with clear vision. But I had one experience this winter on an alpine route on Mt. Washington in nasty conditions that included the following obstacles:
- Steady, strong winds (30-50 mph) that drowned out our voices.
- Constant graupel blown down in a what was effectively a river of snow flowing down the route. This made looking up at my partner hard, even with goggles.
- A route that after 25m swung around the wall of the gully, leaving the leader out of sight and hard to orally communicate with even when shouting.
- Due to poor communicative environment, my partner almost ran out to the end of the rope. Luckily, a lull in wind and some aggressive shouting let him know he had about 5m of rope left so that he could find a ledge and build an anchor.

Ultimately, we abandoned the climb due to the graupel, worsening conditions, and evidence of building wind slabs, all of which pushed risk to a level with which we were not comfortable. Nevertheless, the experience was helpful in that it exposed weaknesses in my communication skill set. I'm curious to hear how others deal with high winds, long distances, poor visibility, etc. Do you use body or hand signals? Is there a way to communicate different commands with the rope? Please share your experiences and systems, if any.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

Re: Communicating under tough conditions

by Yank-Tank » Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 am

A lot of it is about knowing your partner. Knowing how they climb and guessing what they are doing so that you can take them off belay and things. I think that the book says to tug on the rope but that doesn't always work either. Just leave them on belay until it becomes blatantly obvious that they are ready to belay you up.It is good to practice because the more big mountains that you climb you will find that quite often early in the morning a stream o fspin drift will often be flowing cutting off all communications.

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon May 23, 2016 4:52 pm

My take on this is:

If you are leading the pitch: Learn how to estimate how much rope you have left. No need to depend on your second to call out 30 feet. Set up your anchor, tie yourself in and never assume that you have a partner below. When you are secured, (try to communicate, Off Belay), put the rope through your belay device and pull the remainder of the rope up. Keep tension on the rope and try to communicate (Belay is ON). If no response keep hard tension on the rope until your partner understands what the situation is. This scenario is quite common in roped multi-pitch climbing.

If you are following: Never remove your anchor until you are sure your leader pulled all the rope and created more or less direct tension on you. You can clearly see how much rope is left and being pulled up, to judge if you are being put on tension. If you feel tension on the rope for a while, you can remove the anchor and move up. Your leader should be bringing up any slack in the rope , right away.

There is really little that needs to be discussed in this (somewhat normal) situation.

It become another issue if the unexpected occurs and (for ex) the rope gets stuck.

But for the purpose of the OP, the above is a good start. It implies that both partners are aware of each other's ability and actions and are observant enough to make the correct judgement, if voice communications are impossible.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
infinityjellyD, seano

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Communicating with a whistle attached to your park or around something else is a good way to communicate in these situations. You can use the number of blows on the whistle to communicate "belay on", etc.

Norman

by Norman » Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 am

we use the cheap GMSR radios, I hate yelling when others are around same area, never misunderstand if another group yelled off belay, on belay or whatever... radio clips on shoulder strap or in pocket. I screwed up a rappel on Liberty Bell in the wind, could not hear at all, radio made it easy communication to solve problem. We use it on Alpine climbs, Pickets...

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon May 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:A lot of it is about knowing your partner.

BAM! Got that right!

Return to Technique and Training