Condition of Road To French Spring (Forgotten Pass)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

Condition of Road To French Spring (Forgotten Pass)

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 pm

Anyone know? This road is northeast of Lone Pine, on E side valley, and branches off the Lone Pine Narrow Gauge Road. It heads to French Spring, and an old "trail" to Forgotten Pass heads up from ~4600'.

I'm considering heading up through Forgotten Pass in mid-May. I'm wondering how burly a 4x4 might be required. I got my Subaru up to about 5100' in Union Wash, and but it wasn't pretty.

I saw a 2008 report that the road in to French Spring was washed out. I'm guessing that the BLM doesn't try to repair these roads.

Thanks.

lefty

Re: Condition of Road To French Spring (Forgotten Pass)

by lefty » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 am

I drove this road in my Honda CRV (2wd) last fall and I got it up to the 3900 foot level but I think I was actually on the wrong road. There are two dirt roads that start very close to each other from the Narrow Gauge Road. I took the one slightly to the north but I should have take the one to the south. On the correct road I would have been able to drive much further up towards the mouth of the canyon.

Return to California