Convict Lake Camping

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:44 pm

NancyHands wrote:Here's a photo of Convict and Morrison from last weekend:

Ahh, now that's nice. Let's get away from fancy menus and gold-clad cheerleaders, and focus on sparkling lakes and mountains! :wink:
You can MAYBE post those cheerleader shots, if you must, in that other thread, tomorrow.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm

We went over there right after meeting with up with The Chief on Sunday morning.

Thanks for all your suggestions Chief, but we ended up strolling around the lake instead. Turns out you're not allowed to take a rental car (even a 4WD) off road and my brother in law didn't want to risk it. It was great to finally meet you.

My son was scared of The Chief. It must have been the tats, sideburns and that thousand-yard stare. :wink: :lol:

norco17

Re: Convict Lake Camping

by norco17 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:05 pm

The Chief wrote:Just cuz there are no trees (Conifers) as is the case for most CG's at 10K or above in the Eastern Sierra, doesn't make it ugly IMO.

:? convict is at 7,500 not 10k :?

+1 to the rest of that though :D

Blair

by Blair » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Wow this thread exploded! Posted just before I went to bed and Ho Man!

Thanks to all for the information and pics and stories. Looks like Its gunna be a good weekend :D

Hey Chief, wanta go ski Mammoth sunday or monday? Or Depending on what time I get up there I may go make a couple runs friday afternoon.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:15 pm

My pleasure Hop!

Hope that we can meet again and this time we can spend some quality time in my backyard....

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:19 pm

norco17 wrote:
The Chief wrote:Just cuz there are no trees (Conifers) as is the case for most CG's at 10K or above in the Eastern Sierra, doesn't make it ugly IMO.

Indeed it is. I am quite familiar with the environment.

I live 9 miles south of it and at the exact same altitude.

We are very limited for any conifers. Just some Poplars and Aspens here and there, with tons of Sagebrush and small Junipers throughout the entire area from Convict south down along the Eastside as one can see from this pic of the landscape which is located on the southeast aspect of Morrison and just the above Convict (Tobacco Flats)...

Blair, no thanks! Working at MSG on Sunday and my skiing season ended on the 20th April, my last snow day of work on the Hill.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I remember coming off the East Face of Morrison and coming down that gentle valley (not the hanging valley under the N Faace) that is just South and maybe a little west of the Campground and seeing some nice camp sites off the dirt roads up there - I believe it's called Tobacco Flats or something similar. probably 4x4 to get up there and they're primitive sites, but you'd have seclusion and some nice views. Great place to start from if you're going for Morrison too.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 pm

The Chief wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:I camped there several years ago. The sites are ugly, no trees.

Just cuz there are no trees (Conifers) as is the case for most CG's at 10K or above in the Eastern Sierra, doesn't make it ugly IMO.

Personally, I can not stand camping under any Sap Dripping Conifer. Some of those sappers can actually ruin your tent and or bag.

Also, TREES = BUGS!

To each their own, camping with a site right next to you without any privacy isn't my cup of tea. I'll take the sap on the tent and replace as needed as opposed to not having any shade. Any I know the higher altitudes and the east side of mountain ranges have the "problem" of lack of trees. Where I see "ugly", it's another person's "beauty".

I may end up camping a night there again but only because of the proximity to Laurel and Morrison. Tom Steinstra rated that CG a 10, a buddy and I have a photo of us giving the finger to his book. Not that means anything but that was over 14 years ago, interesting to me this CG came up.

norco17

by norco17 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:50 pm

The Chief wrote:
norco17 wrote:

Indeed it is. I am quite familiar with the environment.

I live 9 miles south of it and at the exact same altitude.

Just found it funny when you said 10k.

I think there is a small lake up in that canyon where that picture was taken. The lake appears to be due east of morrison. I have wanted to camp up there, but wasn't sure if the lake is really there and am concerned about having water. Is there actually a lake there?

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Gorgeous area. While trees are great, it's kind of nice to be above timberline where the views are wide open. Personally, if I go there, I'll stick with the scenery. The Resort's menu looks like they're trying way too hard. Rose-lobster butter with peppercorns?!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:24 pm

norco17 wrote:I think there is a small lake up in that canyon where that picture was taken. The lake appears to be due east of morrison. I have wanted to camp up there, but wasn't sure if the lake is really there and am concerned about having water. Is there actually a lake there?

Here's photos of the lake you mention, Lake 3002, from last weekend. Scenic valley.

The lake looked deep enough for a swim. I didn't think having water could be an issue, though the summit log indicates it is sometimes dry.

ImageImage

norco17

by norco17 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:53 pm

thanks for the info

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 pm

That lake is actually nicknamed "Peanut Pond" after Carl "Peanut" McCoy who had a small tin shed that he built up there to stay in when he and friends skied the area in the late Winter and early Spring. i.e. the Hand Gullies etc. located directly above the pond.

PS: Anyone that spends money on any established CG in this entire area should have their head examined. Plenty of FREE great camping to be had all over. Tobacco Flats first comes to mind...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 am

The Chief wrote:PS: Anyone that spends money on any established CG in this entire area should have their head examined. Plenty of FREE great camping to be had all over. Tobacco Flats first comes to mind...

I think that applies to all areas! Question though, what about Rock Creek? If I remember correctly, roadside camping is not allowed along that road... is that correct?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 am

mrchad9 wrote:I think that applies to all areas! Question though, what about Rock Creek? If I remember correctly, roadside camping is not allowed along that road... is that correct?

Not really true.

One can park camp in several nook and crannies pull outs. I know of three where one will not be bothered.

First is off to the right in the dirt parking area just past the Snow Play area boundary lies.

Second is the pull out/drive just past RC Lodge. I personally cleared out numerous old stumps and some large boulders with a front loader there when I did a month stinch working for B-Turner two years ago.

The Third being the last dirt parking area on the left just before the last paved parking area before Mosq Flats parking area.

If one is quiet and low keyed, they should have no problem for a night.

PreviousNext

Return to California