Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:51 am

desmo13 wrote:good photos, looks like plenty of room to play and work on skills. how did the "cross" section mentioned look?

I came up up the S.E. Chuts, so I circled around and never was that close to the cross. As I traversed the ridges to the summit, in looking down there seemed to be plenty of snow. Some pretty good sized cornices.

deep6

by deep6 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:06 am

neo--thanks so much for posting up the tallac pics from the end of june on the snow conditions and your s.e. chutes route up to the summit.

desmo--what route did you take over the july 4th weekend and how was the snow conditions...still enough for some practice & play w/ axe + crampons?

i'm hoping to get out to tallac this weekend and friends were planning to take the following route: start at Glen Alpine trailhead near Fallen Leaf Lake > "middle tallac" trail > Gilmore Lake > tallac summit...anybody familiar w/ this route and would this be a good snow practice session going via this route?

btw: anybody recommend a good book or trails map of mt. tallac?

thank you.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 am

deep6 wrote:neo--thanks so much for posting up the tallac pics from the end of june on the snow conditions and your s.e. chutes route up to the summit.

desmo--what route did you take over the july 4th weekend and how was the snow conditions...still enough for some practice & play w/ axe + crampons?

i'm hoping to get out to tallac this weekend and friends were planning to take the following route: start at Glen Alpine trailhead near Fallen Leaf Lake > "middle tallac" trail > Gilmore Lake > tallac summit...anybody familiar w/ this route and would this be a good snow practice session going via this route?

btw: anybody recommend a good book or trails map of mt. tallac?

thank you.

I wouldn't think there would be any snow up there by now. Maybe a little on the North/NorthEast Face.

fedak

by fedak » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 am

Here's Tallac as of Sunday- not a whole lot of snow left:

http://www.fedak.net/photos/TrimmerFree ... -full.html

> btw: anybody recommend a good book or trails map of mt. tallac?

I'm a big fan of Schaeffer's "Tahoe Sierra" for Tahoe area stuff

http://books.google.com/books?id=z5CMzE ... &q&f=false

rdesota

by rdesota » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:46 pm

fedak

by fedak » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:12 pm

You linked the page rather than the image itself.

As of this week, The Cathedral Lake route still has snow covering the trail at the top of the bowl- so you need to veer off to the talus to the right (where there is a use trail)

Glen Alpine is mostly snow free aside from some lingering patches.

desmo13

by desmo13 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:29 am

Here is some pics from last week.

On the 3rd, I hiked up tallac to the SE bowl and climbed the snow for a couple hours. Fun climbing up, then sliding down, then back up, repeat.

On Thursday, I went up Ralston Peak, no snow at all on the trail. Here is a phot0 towards Pyramid and aloha lakes. Sorry pic of Pyramid summit, it was snow free, but the east slopes still had plenty of snow.

Once on the summit, I descended the NE bowl Ralston and climbed on those for a bit

deep6

by deep6 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:50 pm

desmo: very cool pics...thanks for sharing!

once again i didn't make it over to tallac but, made a quick run up castle peak and no snow at all--boo! but, if you go past it and over to basin peak...on the backside into the valley there is still a lot of snow but, not very steep and just can practice a bit glissading/sliding down it.

QITNL

by QITNL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Photos from Sunday-Monday, July 11-12:

MountainMonkey7

Mt Tallac Current Snow Conditions?

by MountainMonkey7 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Any beta on the snow conditions of Mt Tallac right now? Will crampons/axe be needed?

Specifically, if anyone knows a recent comparison to the SE Chutes as compared to the Mt Tallac trail? I'd rather do the chutes but I'm still new to using my crampons and axe...I'm willing to go either way but the SE chutes would be more fun!

I'm hoping to go in a week. Thanks in advance for any beta on this. I've never posted a question but have benefited so much from this community and it's resources! Peace.

fedak

Re: Mt Tallac Current Snow Conditions?

by fedak » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Tallac from Echo on 7/8.
Back side/Glen Alpine route looks mostly snow free.
Think there is still considerable snow in the bowl in the main (Cathedral Lake) trail but you can usually bypass that on the talus to its right.

Full size: http://www.fedak.net/photos/EchoFlagpol ... -full.html
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

no avatar
Kirk Mallory

Re: Mt Tallac Current Snow Conditions?

by Kirk Mallory » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:40 am

I climbed it yesterday using the Mt. Tallac Trail. There was snow in the bowl where the trail climbs steeply up to the south slopes, but there were tracks. I felt OK going up them, but descended talus to bypass the snow on my way down.

Tallac Trail.jpg
Tallac Trail.jpg (335.94 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

One of the chutes?

Tallac East Side.jpg
Tallac East Side.jpg (287.67 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

adventuretactical

Re: Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow

by adventuretactical » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Darn...I'm trying to get back up there to Tallac before it's all gone. Just was up there with wife and got snowed out in June...couldn't believe what I was seeing...right in the middle of summer with that much snow coming down on us!

Just got back from Shasta on July 8th and was flabbergasted at the amount of snow left on Shasta, still due to the record snowfall this year (huge record break..I guess since 1914!).

fedak

Re: Current Conditions on Mt. Tallac & Pyramid Peak.Any Snow

by fedak » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Note that this is the 2010 conditions thread.
Those pics are all from last year.

[Edit: Hmm- someone merged the 2011 and 2010 threads]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

MountainMonkey7

Mt Tallac Current Snow Conditions?

by MountainMonkey7 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 am

Any beta on the snow conditions of Mt Tallac right now? Will crampons/axe be needed?

Specifically, if anyone knows a recent comparison to the SE Chutes as compared to the Mt Tallac trail? I'd rather do the chutes but I'm still new to using my crampons and axe...I'm willing to go either way but the SE chutes would be more fun!

I'm hoping to go in a week. Thanks in advance for any beta on this. I've never posted a question but have benefited so much from this community and it's resources! Peace.

PreviousNext

Return to California