current snow/skeeter/fish conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoabPeakBagger

current snow/skeeter/fish conditions

by MoabPeakBagger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:24 am

Took a nice 3 day trip into the Clark Range, from the south. Headed up out of Clover Meadows, camped high at a few lakes, made a few excursions toward passes. I've been coming to the Sierra for 8 seasons now, and this is far and away the most snow I've ever seen in the summer. I've seen less snow in March than there is right now. If you didn't know, you'd think it was an average early May or mid May.

Snow patches began as low as 7000' (some roads still have patches). North and east facing slopes are patchy with snow from 7000'-7500' and are totally covered from 8000'+. South and west facing slopes are patchy with snow from 8000'-8500', are largely covered from 8500'-9500', and are completely covered above 9500'. All passes are completely snow covered and most people will want ice axes, even for easy pass crossings.

Skeeters are terrible from 7500'-8500', a minor nuisance till 9000', but absolutely not present above 9000'- had 2 beautiful skeeter free evenings!

Creek crossings are high but not as high as you might think.

Caddis flies are hatching NOW, and the fish are hungry hungry hungry, particularly in higher lakes.

And nobody's around because they're scared off by the snow- it's the perfect time to head into the mountains. :D

The following user would like to thank MoabPeakBagger for this post
Fredd C Dobbs, Trawinski

Bascuela

Re: current snow/skeeter/fish conditions

by Bascuela » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:28 am

Skeeters:

Mono Creek/Graveyard Lakes/Devil's Bathtub: They're organized and taking names. No but seriously, it was crazy.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Man if this is the same on the Rush Creek trail south of Gem Lake, I'm going to have a slushy slog up to Thousand Island Lake this weekend. :(

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Rush Creek Trail is on the eastern slope, whereas the Clark Range is the western slope, so I'd guess there'll be less snow there. Just a guess, but I'd bet snow levels are a good 1000'+ higher on that side.

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 pm

We hiked into the Hilton Lakes (from Rock Creek) last Tuesday, 7/12. There were only scattered snow patches near where we camped at 10,300 ft, and we crossed <20 ft of snow on the trail in (didn't lack for mosquitoes in camp, though). Snow depth varies a lot depending on exposure and where you are in the range.

fossana

by fossana » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 pm

S LAKE/HURD (21 Jul)
Went up Hurd yesterday evening. The mosquitoes are the worst I've experienced in that area. Minimal snow and what was there was consolidated.

TWIN LAKES/HULK (21 Jul)
Attempted to climb Positive Vibrations yesterday but my climbing partner sprained his ankle just below the base. Snow was too firm to kick steps, but could be avoided. Minimal mosquitoes (we were in the car by 8:30 am).

N FORK BIG PINE CK/TEMPLE CRAG (17 Jul)
Minimal mosquitoes. Snow below Temple was too firm to kick steps in the morning but good in the afternoon.

The following user would like to thank fossana for this post
RSN473

no avatar
markv

by markv » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:21 am

July 20-22

Mammoth Crest, Deer Lakes, Duck Lake, Purple Lake, Lake Virginia, Duck Pass:

Patchy snow on the way up the crest, crossing from Deer Lakes to Duck Pass, and the north side of Duck Pass, but nothing that'll stop you. A few slow mosquitos only at Purple and Lake Virginia. On the north side of the crest, no bugs at all above 9500'. Pretty amazing to hit so much of this perfectly in between the snow and the bug hatch. Get out there soon...probably in another week the feeding frenzy will begin.

kolbi2112

by kolbi2112 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Anyone have a recent update on the latest snow/skeeter conditions in Yosemite? I'm doing a loop of the grand canyon of the Tuolumne, through white wolf and ten lakes starting on Wednesday. Also curious about any significant stream crossings.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 am

Was in the Gaylor/Granite Lakes area in Northeastern Yosemite yesterday. The skeeters were horrendous all the way to almost 11,000 feet.

Hiked today to Duck Lake over Duck Pass. Some patchy snow on the way to the pass, but can be easily avoided. Skeeters were pretty bad at Duck Lake.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:57 am

You gotta have all your ducks in a row to survive the skeeters at Duck Lake.

An older man with a beard told me that "Avon Nice-and-Soft" is a good DETERRENT against THEM nasty bloodsuckers ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Bascuela

by Bascuela » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:28 am

Anyone been in the Rae Lakes area? One would guess its still bad.

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:36 pm

7/5
Devils Postpile area
Skeeters on the trail to Fern and Anona lakes from Devils Postpile are horrendous at the lakes and the wet areas to the lakes, snow above Anona to ridge was too firm in the AM to kick steps

7/13
Elinore Lake/Simitar Pass South Fork of Big Pine Creek

Skeeters are also horrendous here(as expected) lots of water coming down making the stream crossings difficult.

Snow to Simitar pass was too firm to kick steps in the AM but was suncupped enough that we never needed axes/crampons, was soft enough to come down without them as well.

Added- And the bridge over the South Fork of Big Pine Creek, is still out.
Last edited by Climber Dave on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calipidder

by calipidder » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:45 am

Aug ~6-12-ish:
Bench Lake to Arrow Pass worst skeeters I've ever encountered.

Cartridge Pass area: bad but bearable

Upper Basin: slightly better. But beware the dead deer about 50 ft up the stream crossing mid-Upper Basin along the JMT.

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 am

Squeets on bro Joe's leg above his sock at no name avalanche meadow lake up McGee Creek above 10k last Saturday evening at dusk. Didn't really bother us much even though we camped near marshy areas 4 nights because had full mosquito battle gear (impenatrable nylon shell/pants, neck drape cap, nets, and readily applied our 100% DEET Jungle Juice.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com

RickF

by RickF » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:53 pm

August 15-20, Sheppard's Pass Trail, southern section of the JMT & Whitney area: Mosquitos in concentrations to be expected in areas near meadows, marshes & creeks. heaviest in the hour prior to dusk. Not bad an hour after dark. I used Ben's spray and got only a few bites. I slept with only my rain-fly so I didn't have mesh protection at night. The mosquitos annoyed me the most a Mahogany Flat and in the high meadows along Tyndall Creek east of the JMT.

We didn't bring fishing gear but we saw some people catching lots of small Goldens in the creek and pools below Timberline Lake in the afternoon. We saw rings on the water in mornings and evenigs at Timberling, Guitar, Consultation and Mirror Lakes, giving evidence that the fish were rising to feed on the hatch.

Snow fields didn't cover big areas but they were deep, the creeks and waterfalls were all very robust. The snow fields on Sheppard's Pass and at the summit plateau on Whitney had boot-tracked trails to cross through. It was a challenge to keep our boots dry on several of the creek crossings. The snowfield that usually generates a trickle in the 97 switchbacks was running like a creek.

Return to California