Cutting Switchbacks

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
DukeJH

Cutting Switchbacks

by DukeJH » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I've just gotta vent here...

This weekend on Baden-Powell I couldn't help but notice the numerous trails directly down the mountain. Following the established (mapped) trail I lost count at around 16 switchbacks. As I hiked along I saw a couple running down the fall line with no regard for the trail. Unfortunately they were too far ahead for me to say something reasonably politely. Being by myself I did not care for a fight.

If you're not going to cause damage (like with snow cover) that's one thing but on popular routes trails are built and maintained for a reason!

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
Bajumbug, Day Hiker, Marcsoltan, mrchad9, silversummit, Tangeman

rhyang

Re: Cutting Switchbacks

by rhyang » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:13 pm

And that reason is to prevent erosion. I think you should definitely speak up -- the impression I get is that often these are people who are new to hiking and/or how things are done in this country and if you are polite and tactful they will generally listen.

For example, last year I and a friend went and climbed Crystal Crag, near Mammoth. The approach to the lake (whose name escapes me right now) has a lot of switchbacks. As we hiked back to the trailhead a large group of Chinese folks were headed in the same direction, and cutting switchbacks. At first I didn't say anything. Then I saw an older man seeming to instruct people in his group to do so. That did it for me. I stopped and spoke up, something along the lines of "Hi, you know you should really follow the trail -- cutting the switchbacks like that causes erosion and trail damage." They seemed to listen and followed the trail after that.
Taaaake !

The following user would like to thank rhyang for this post
Marcsoltan

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:42 pm

When I see areas of trail badly eroded by switchback cutters I spend some time searching for deadfall, branches and big rocks that I can build up across the "entrances" to these trails and block them off. People are generally lazy, so if its more difficult to take the shorcut, they are more likely to stick to the real trail. I also try and run longer sections of logs and branches lengthwise down the trail to further discourage use.

Of course I have seen my barricades moved by the time I descend some trails, but anything we can do to help when on trail is better than nothing I feel.

The following user would like to thank chicagotransplant for this post
dtitus, Marcsoltan

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:19 pm

chicagotransplant wrote:When I see areas of trail badly eroded by switchback cutters I spend some time searching for deadfall, branches and big rocks that I can build up across the "entrances" to these trails and block them off. People are generally lazy, so if its more difficult to take the shorcut, they are more likely to stick to the real trail. I also try and run longer sections of logs and branches lengthwise down the trail to further discourage use.

Of course I have seen my barricades moved by the time I descend some trails, but anything we can do to help when on trail is better than nothing I feel.

Barbed wire works better! :twisted:

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm

I have spoken up about this in the past when I've seen people cutting switchbacks, and I've found many people honestly don't think about why it's a bad idea, and if it's explained to them patiently they are much more likely to do the right thing. A friendly vs. accusatory/hostile tone helps a lot.

On the other hand, when I mentioned to a guy who was conducting an informal trad lead class at Castle Rock less than 12 hrs after heavy rain last winter that he might not want to be climbing on wet sandstone, much less setting pro on lead, that soon after rain, he gave me a dirty look and said "we know what we're doing". Luckily a ranger walked up and told him he'd be cited for any damage to the rock if he didn't stop.

no avatar
Murph1

by Murph1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:18 am

The only way to put an end to major trail cutting is through educating the public.
I spent 32 years of my backpacking and mountaineering days teaching Outdoor Living to California students grades 7-9. Hopefully, the lessons they learned in class and out on the trails about good wilderness habits will carry over to the families they start. Preventing trail cutting is only one of many major "No! No's!" out in our wilderness areas. Camping in meadows, placing campsites within 100' of lakes, washing dishes and bodies in rivers using shampoos and detergents are all seriously effecting the wilderness experience of all hikers, backpackers, climbers, snowshoers, and xc skiiers.
Considering that since the 1930's America's lower 48 states have lost over 50% of all the trais build in the 1800's and 1900's it is amazing that there are any trails left to "trail cut" Desolation Wilderness, the most used wilderness area in the Western U.S. has only one trail crew of 10 to maintain the numerous trails there in. Basically, they yearly clear the sixty mile stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail and a few of the major feeder trails. By the time they get around to fixing trail cutting areas on most trails it takes major repair work.
Every experienced wilderness user should make it a point to explain to those who cut trails why it is in everyone's best interests not to do so. I have never been attacked or threatened by anyone in California or any other Western State when i
addressed the problem.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:10 am

How old are the hikers that are cutting the switchbacks you all see? Nothing against the younger group of hikers, most are respectful. But most of those I see that do this are teenagers or younger (and parents not doing there job to stop them), up to the early 20's.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 am

1000Pks wrote:You might be amazed or disturbed how much of your taxpayer dollars goes for trailwork, in that regard, especially in Yosemite.

Perhaps in Yosemite, but out here, the repair is mainly done by volunteers or kids from the reform school. I spent Sunday repairing switchback cuts-- lugging big rocks and logs, using McClouds and Pulaskis. It's back-breaking work.

A lot of the cuts are made by tired folks at the end of the day; but some are made by trail runners.

The erosion on cuts can actually make the regular trail dangerous.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:59 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
1000Pks wrote:You might be amazed or disturbed how much of your taxpayer dollars goes for trailwork, in that regard, especially in Yosemite.

Perhaps in Yosemite, but out here, the repair is mainly done by volunteers or kids from the reform school. I spent Sunday repairing switchback cuts-- lugging big rocks and logs, using McClouds and Pulaskis. It's back-breaking work.

A lot of the cuts are made by tired folks at the end of the day; but some are made by trail runners.

The erosion on cuts can actually make the regular trail dangerous.

Here in the east, the trail work is also done mostly by volunteers.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:19 pm

MoapaPk wrote:A lot of the cuts are made by tired folks at the end of the day

Ghey. Next time, stay home instead.

MoapaPk wrote:but some are made by trail runners.

Even more ghey.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:How old are the hikers that are cutting the switchbacks you all see? Nothing against the younger group of hikers, most are respectful. But most of those I see that do this are teenagers or younger (and parents not doing there job to stop them), up to the early 20's.

When and where is this? :?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:How old are the hikers that are cutting the switchbacks you all see? Nothing against the younger group of hikers, most are respectful. But most of those I see that do this are teenagers or younger (and parents not doing there job to stop them), up to the early 20's.

Heceta Head Lighthouse and Neptune State Beach in Oregon, Mount Tam, Glacier Point in Yosemite, Eagle Falls Trail (S.Lake Tahoe)

And when? Wow, in Oregon that was both in the summers of '08 and '09, Mount Tam (Spring '10) Glacier Point was about 1984 or so, Eagle Falls was about '06 or '07. Please don't ask for the actual date.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

Heceta Head Lighthouse and Neptune State Beach in Oregon, Mount Tam, Glacier Point in Yosemite, Eagle Falls Trail (S.Lake Tahoe)

And when? Wow, in Oregon that was both in the summers of '08 and '09, Mount Tam (Spring '10) Glacier Point was about 1984 or so, Eagle Falls was about '06 or '07. Please don't ask for the actual date.

It seems you were in densely populated or crowded areas, where a lot of people tend to gather and go out a little bit that don't normally do so, rather than observations of hikers who go out regularly and stray a good ways from the trailhead.

I just wouldn't form an opinion as sweeping as yours on an entire generation based on such a limited dataset. There is a difference between kids who backpack and hike, and those brought to some state park or Glacier Point by their parents.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:37 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:How old are the hikers that are cutting the switchbacks you all see? Nothing against the younger group of hikers, most are respectful. But most of those I see that do this are teenagers or younger (and parents not doing

It seems you were in densely populated or crowded areas, where a lot of people tend to gather and go out a little bit that don't normally do so, rather than observations of hikers who go out regularly and stray a good ways from the trailhead.

I just wouldn't form an opinion as sweeping as yours on an entire generation based on such a limited dataset. There is a difference between kids who backpack and hike, and those brought to some state park or Glacier Point by their parents.

".......an opinion as sweeping as mine", try reading again Chad. I wasn't in the least making that suggestion.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Troy, every time you get out you see people cutting switchbacks????

Throughout this summer I didn't see any random people doing so...

Didn't say every time- try reading the post.

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander