Dakar anyone?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Yeti

Dakar anyone?

by Yeti » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 pm

I've been following this as best I can, the coverage in the US is horrible. Is anyone else keeping up, or visiting any of the stages?

mstender

by mstender » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm

The Dakar Rally was moved to South America this year because it was too dangerous in Africa but they kept the old name. I have not seen any coverage here on TV either. They had it on the news of a German TV (DWTV) station on satellite TV. Also, there is frequent reports on a German sports website I usually read (http://www.sport1.de).

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm in Mendoza, been here a couple of weeks. You can buy 'Dakar' t-shirts in the tourist shops and it's regularly on the news and in the papers. One death so far, plus one guy in a coma.

D

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 pm

mstender wrote:The Dakar Rally was moved to South America this year because it was too dangerous in Africa but they kept the old name. I have not seen any coverage here on TV either. They had it on the news of a German TV (DWTV) station on satellite TV. Also, there is frequent reports on a German sports website I usually read (http://www.sport1.de).

I have a daughter living in Dakar. Wonder what part of the trek they deemed to dangerous? Was a mini boom to the local economy, that is too bad.

McCannster

by McCannster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Dow Williams wrote:I have a daughter living in Dakar. Wonder what part of the trek they deemed to dangerous? Was a mini boom to the local economy, that is too bad.

All of Mauritania.

Yeti

by Yeti » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:02 pm

Yes, unfortunately the thread (promise) of terrorist acts against the events checkpoints and bivouacs cause them to cancel last year. It was devestating to everyone involved, both as competitiors and equity partners. I'm glad the event was able to carry on after such a hit. The raly loved Africa, and Africa loved the rally, but a few assholes messed it up.

Americans can find coverage on the Versus network, though it's not terribly good. I think they just have rights to the video feed, and some guy at the office reads commentary. The Dakar website has a daily video and write-ups for each stae, though.

A freind of mine is in Argentina following the rally on a Beta, and says it's one of the best experiences of his life. "The race is so hard, the spectators are blistered and sore".
It's proving to be every bit as challenging as Africa; Once the rally started, anyone who complained about the location was quickly quieted by a lung-full of dust and a tree to the face. :lol:

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:30 pm

They're up at Fiambala, the starting point for climbing Ojos del Salado from the east. The leader, Carlos Sainz, just drove into a ditch and is now out!

D

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Actually, the Norwegian climber Ivar Tollefsen is currently (Thurs AM) in 6th place. Ivar led the first climbing expedition to Queen Maud Land in Antarctica, wrote a fantastic book about it, then led two more expeditions there, recently making the first ascent of the north face of Ulvetanna. http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/antartica06/

D

fossana

by fossana » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:I'm in Mendoza, been here a couple of weeks. You can buy 'Dakar' t-shirts in the tourist shops and it's regularly on the news and in the papers. One death so far, plus one guy in a coma.

D

+2

Sad that ESPN will regularly air cheerleading competitions, but not the Dakar.

Yeti

by Yeti » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:09 pm

fossana wrote:Sad that ESPN will regularly air cheerleading competitions, but not the Dakar.

Speedvision used to carry it, but they (Fox) decided that space could be better filled with NASCAR and the various "pimping" of "things". Apparently it's not bright and shiney enough for their target audience.

I'm reading that Sainz took a spill today, and that his codriver had to be heli-vaced for medical treatment. If so, that's ANOTHER first place team that's out of the rally. Dakar SA seems to be bad luck for front runners. :shock:

DoJo

by DoJo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:32 pm

several videos on youtube:
e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4xK3Sn2oU

Yeti

by Yeti » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 pm

DoJo wrote:several videos on youtube:
e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4xK3Sn2oU

When I'd first read about this yesterday, it said he just drove into a ditch... THAT is a ravine, square cut at that. Looks like he got close to the edge aand the soil collapsed, taking them down with it. That is 100% bad luck, and Carlos is pissed.

Return to South America