Eastern Plane Wrecks Thread

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
John Duffield

Eastern Plane Wrecks Thread

by John Duffield » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Looking at the hit count of the MT Mitchell thread, seems there's a lot of interest in finding plane wrecks. I enjoy it myself, it's easier than looking for shipwrecks - another hobby of mine - and it's good exercise in orienteering. There's a thread over on SuperTopo now about a new wreck they're looking for.

The Catskills is loaded with them, but there's others. I suppose the most famous in the NE, is that Bomber Plane Wing on the Camels Hump in Vermont. I must've stopped by it 15 times. We used to run the kids up there every year, with a reward stop at Ben and Jerrys after. I've heard there's an engine somewhere deep in the woods.

My favorite, is a B-25 in a really difficult area between Friday and Balsam Cap in the Cats. The hike was really rough, about as bad as it gets, but wasn't hard to find, just follow the stream up to the elevation and there it is. But crashes are hard to find, planes are small and light.

At the top of my ticklist, is a WW2 Heavy Bomber supposedly on Slide MT. On another forum, they say there are two on Slide, they've been looking with groups and can't find them. It's the time of year, I go looking because the leaves are down. The groups go and leave tracks in the snow. Has anyone here seen it?

A couple of Photos, from Katerskill and Friday/Balsam Cap.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)