Eating

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
Sleighty

by Sleighty » Tue May 25, 2010 1:40 am

That burger looks effing delicious.

I'm feeling so patriotic now...

Ze

Re: Eating

by Ze » Tue May 25, 2010 1:53 am

Lolli wrote:If one doesn't eat much, but still moves a lot, what's the lower limit before it becomes dangerous? Does anyone know?

I'll bet nutrient restriction is a lot more detrimental than caloric restriction.

there's all sorts of crazy shit done on rats...even with severely obese patients, they'll do an extreme caloric restriction (to like 500 - 800 kCal a day), but they ensure that the full compliment of necessary amino acids and fatty acids are included (and I'd guess vitamins and minerals). Now that extreme should still have significant negative effects on performance & health, as the body is breaking down so much that some of it comes from bone and muscle, along with other physiological side effects.

What defines "dangerous"? I'm sure if you are eating nutrient dense food, you could consume 90 % of the calories you would need to stay in energy balance, and not have severe negative consequences.

just my opinion, talk to a doctor for sure. but then again considering all the questions that remain on these topics, not sure a general doc will give you the best info...if you can find someone who specializes in nutrition and is up to date in the all the research that is being done, that would be a lot more valuable

Ze

by Ze » Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 pm

spinach is great. very nutrient dense. and according to nutritiondata.com, it actually is a complete protein (albeit in low quantities).

drpw

by drpw » Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
MikeTX wrote:i guess my point is that most people are more sedentary than they think. for most people, weight loss takes sticking to a rigorous exercise program. i believe that if most people focused more on the exercise side of the equation, they could afford to not worry so much about the caloric intake side. the problem is that most people hate exercising, so they try to limit their caloric intake instead. this is just the wrong approach imo.

True stuff. I often see non-handicapped people using the dumbass elevator to go up one floor. WTF.

I never take the stairs. If I'm going to climb something it's going to be a mountain.

IanMcQ

by IanMcQ » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:37 pm

I eat so much, my buddies tease me about it.
I eat so much, I had myself tested for worms. Twice.
I have weighed between 140-145 (+/- 5 lbs) for 35 years.
I get as much activity as I have time for (3 kids...and a wife who has horses); Ultimate, hiking, mtn biking, skiing.
I eat everything/anything.
I drink lots of water.
I don't like to go without food for long; I get jittery. I'm not diabetic, either. My wife jokes that I need to eat sugar cubes on a hot summer day just to stay warm...
..........It's really about your metabolism, and being sensible about things. Know who you are, and what you are capable of, and what 'the research' suggests is right for you. Enjoy beer, chocolate, and chips, but in balance.
My buddy Mike is a little taller, and 50 lbs heavier. His food bag for our last hiking trip was 2/3 the size of mine - and he had food left over...and he's good with that. And should be.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Fletch wrote:
John Duffield wrote:Image

God, I love US. Only the United States could think up something like this. Bravo!

Im 6'2", 225 and eat like a horse (3,000 - 4,000 cal/day). I have a desk job, but exercise at least 4x per week. If I stop exercizing, I put on 10 - 25 lbs in about a month. If I maintain my exercise regime for a month, I lose 10 - 25 lbs over the next month. Sort of oscilate (sic) between 215 and 235.

My brother is 6'5", 210 and looks like a greek statue. Kid eats six to eight small meals a day and has an eight pack. Have no idea how he does it. It certainly isn't genetic. :oops:

I truly believe your fitness level starts in your head. Your attitude towards life, how positive you are, and how much sleep you get are much more important than what you put in your body. Don't get me wrong, eating is an activity that needs attention and it is certainly necessary to sustain life, but I think we sometimes overestimate the correlation between food and fitness. I say it's more in your head and your heart and less in your stomach or your mouth.

Twinkies!!!

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 pm

:cry:

groooossss. I'm going to puke now.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:41 pm

turducken.

Previous

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue