Ecuador volcanoes - boots recommendation

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
katty007

Ecuador volcanoes - boots recommendation

by katty007 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to mountaineering and will be attempting the 3 highest volcanoes in Ecuador over Christmas. I'd like to hear your recommendations for a good boot for this trip and also for subsequent trips in similar conditions, e.g. Mont Blanc, Elbrus etc.

I'd like to hear in particular if you have successfully summitted any of the three and also from the ladies! I should disclose that as a young lady, I am very prone to the cold and particular cold hands and feet so warmth is a bigger factor for me than e.g. the weight of the boot.

Thanks in advance!

ScottyP

Re: Ecuador volcanoes - boots recommendation

by ScottyP » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:22 pm

I don't think there is any question that brings out opinions here more than boot choice! What ever boot you chose, do so soon as you will want a month of hiking in them prior to your trip. I ended up with Spantiks due to
1) got a killer deal on them $270
2) they will climb all that I plan on, Denali, aco, Elbrus etc
3) they fit my feet and cold level well

Good luck!

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 pm

katty007 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to mountaineering and will be attempting the 3 highest volcanoes in Ecuador over Christmas. I'd like to hear your recommendations for a good boot for this trip and also for subsequent trips in similar conditions, e.g. Mont Blanc, Elbrus etc.

I'd like to hear in particular if you have successfully summitted any of the three and also from the ladies! I should disclose that as a young lady, I am very prone to the cold and particular cold hands and feet so warmth is a bigger factor for me than e.g. the weight of the boot.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, our plans for Christmas are seemingly identical! Perhaps we'll run into each other in one of the huts :D . As for boots I recently purchased a pair of Asolo AFS 8000's from REI (screamin deal, closeout for $200!). If you call the REI in Berkeley you might be able to get a pair shipped to you for that price. I'm assuming they will be plenty warm for Ecuador as they are on the recommended gear list for Denali (http://www.alpineascents.com).
Last edited by ARosenthal on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 pm

ScottyP wrote:1) got a killer deal on them $270

Where?! :shock:

no avatar
katty007

by katty007 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:01 pm

haha yeah on the prices unfortunately we get screwed over here... spantiks will come to £480! although I have heard many good things about them. can't see asolos on offer anywhere unfortunately and would generally not like to buy a boot without trying it on first!

no avatar
bobmirko

by bobmirko » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:02 pm

katty007 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

We plan the same trip for chrismas... I bought Nepal EVO GTX

Maybe this link can help you with your cold feets: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... &viewAll=y

no avatar
katty007

by katty007 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:08 pm

sounds like it'll be busy out there! was looking at the nepal extreme or nepal evos in store but the guy said they may not be warm enough. what gaiters are you using or would you even consider a full overboot?

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 am

ARosenthal wrote:1) got a killer deal on them $270

East Coast store going out of business. Found them on EBAY and spent another $40 for a semi-local bootfitter to make them fit like a glove. Worked great on Denali, just a bit of shinbang on the 10,000' descent o the last day.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 am

ScottyP wrote:
ARosenthal wrote:1) got a killer deal on them $270

East Coast store going out of business. Found them on EBAY and spent another $40 for a semi-local bootfitter to make them fit like a glove. Worked great on Denali, just a bit of shinbang on the 10,000' descent o the last day.

what a steal. Scotty I just saw you're from Santa Rosa. I'm living in Santa Cruz but my family is up there in Rosa. I'll be up there for turkey day, I might try and find you to pick your brain about your Denali experience :wink:

AdamsKerr

by AdamsKerr » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:54 pm

if you're prone to cold i would say any "High mountain" (not 8000m) boot would do you fine. eg. La Sportiva Spantike, Batura...Scrapa Phantom guide etc etc.

Im heading there in January to start my guide in training and plan to just use my Tango Extreme Evos. im lucky enough to be blessed with the abilty to say "i'm too warm" on the summit ridge of Denali haha

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:12 pm

I used Scarpa Alfas last year on Chimborazo and Cayambe. My feet were cold on both mountains, not dangerously just uncomfortably. This year I'll be taking something with a thicker liner and that allows a heavier sock.
I like double plastics for Ecuador and I'm prone to cold extremities. And I'll take HotHands or a similar shake-it heater for my gloves, maybe mitts this time. Overboots would definately be overkill.

I'll be in Ecuador Dec 14 to Jan 14, if anyone's looking for partners or someone to share climb expenses.

Should be a good time, Katty.
Last edited by mtnjim on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:16 pm

ARosenthal wrote:what a steal. Scotty I just saw you're from Santa Rosa. I'm living in Santa Cruz but my family is up there in Rosa. I'll be up there for turkey day, I might try and find you to pick your brain about your Denali experience

Sure, I'll be heading up Hood for an early workout before the gluttony begins!

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 am

AdamsKerr wrote:if you're prone to cold i would say any "High mountain" (not 8000m) boot would do you fine. eg. La Sportiva Spantike, Batura...Scrapa Phantom guide etc etc.

Im heading there in January to start my guide in training and plan to just use my Tango Extreme Evos. im lucky enough to be blessed with the abilty to say "i'm too warm" on the summit ridge of Denali haha

The Scarpa Phantom Guide is not a "high mountain" boot. It is their lightweight single boot with an integrated gaiter. It's roughly comparable in warmth to the Nepal EVO GTX. I sold my Nepals and got the Phantom Guide instead. It fits my weird feet much, much better. It's also a fair amount lighter. Unfortunately, it's an extra $100 and probably not as durable.

The boot you're talking about is probably the Phantom 6000.

AdamsKerr

by AdamsKerr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:12 pm

there we go, sorry.

Ice9

by Ice9 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:25 pm

I have used quite a few boots and if you get cold easily you will need double boots on these higher altitude mountains. I climb with quite a few women in NH and they all use double boots for any climbing endeavor due to the warmth factor.

In terms of what boots to get the best choice would be the Scarpa Phantom 6000 or the La Sportiva Spantiks provided they fit your feet well. Both of these boots are quite warm and climb very well. The Scarpa's are lighter and the Spantiks are a bit warmer but both are very warm. As you mention they are expensive unless you can find a deal but you get what you pay for.

There are many good cheaper choices as well. I used to own the the Asolo AFS 8000 (just replaced they with the Spantiks actually) they are very warm as well but are much heavier and bulkier than some of the newer boots out there (such as the 6000 or the Spantik).

Next

Return to Gear