Either get rid of PnP or not!

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 pm

So it appears we have come full circle then. You can start just about any topic and it will just be shuffled into off route? Cool! :D

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm

peladoboton wrote:the only result i see of disbanding PnP has been to spread it evenly around SP, not much differently than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vmnq5dBF7Y

please pay close attention to the dialogue: it is analogous, symbolic, and prophetic.

Paddlebottom is right. I didn't get it a few months ago but now I do. Why not just start PNP up again but not have a feed to the "Recent Forum Posts" on the main page? Instead, just a little "PNP" icon those in the know can click to be among their friends.

I once was blind, but now I see...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:09 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:
peladoboton wrote:the only result i see of disbanding PnP has been to spread it evenly around SP, not much differently than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vmnq5dBF7Y

please pay close attention to the dialogue: it is analogous, symbolic, and prophetic.

Paddlebottom is right. I didn't get it a few months ago but now I do. Why not just start PNP up again but not have a feed to the "Recent Forum Posts" on the main page? Instead, just a little "PNP" icon those in the know can click to be among their friends.

I once was blind, but now I see...

Is he? I still don't see a lot of personal attacks.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 pm

mrchad9 wrote: Is he? I still don't see a lot of personal attacks.

I dunno. I've seen a bit of that ("YOU are a swindler ... ") and some trolling and chest-thumping (I'll talk to you when you are a real climber, like ME) in the main forums lately. It's more a matter of flavor. Why not have a place where People of the PNP Persuasion can congregate, a little bit off to one side? It also provides a handy place for elves to move wandering threads. If not mixed in with the recent posts directory, it's unobtrusive and doesn't detract from the site.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:31 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:
mrchad9 wrote: Is he? I still don't see a lot of personal attacks.

I dunno. I've seen a bit of that ("YOU are a swindler ... ") and some trolling and chest-thumping (I'll talk to you when you are a real climber, like ME) in the main forums lately. It's more a matter of flavor. Why not have a place where People of the PNP Persuasion can congregate, a little bit off to one side? It also provides a handy place for elves to move wandering threads. If not mixed in with the recent posts directory, it's unobtrusive and doesn't detract from the site.

So how is that different than the off-route?

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:47 pm

mrchad9 wrote:So how is that different than the off-route?

Currently, off-route posts show up on the main page and get equal billing with other posts.

My suggestion, which was not some penetrating insight but just a practical tweak, was to have a PNP but without linking it to "Recent Forum Posts." Instead, people click on a PNP icon somewhere and are instantly tranported to PNP Nirvana, but only if they want to be there. Users who don't want to be there, and the much larger pool of lurkers/nonmembers, would see less of them.

There is some magic to the "PNP" name, after so many years of tradition. If there were not, certainly, "Off-Route" could become the new PNP forum with no problem. Unless something called PNP is re-created, though, I think the PNP People will feel disposessed and will continue to sprinke PNP dust on the rest of the forums.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
Read the 100 page thread at the bottom of "Off-Route"

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok, dumb idea, sorry (and I only got as far as page 1 ...).

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:32 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:
butitsadryheat wrote:
Read the 100 page thread at the bottom of "Off-Route"

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok, dumb idea, sorry (and I only got as far as page 1 ...).

Man up! There's a test next Monday.

Previous

Return to Site Feedback