Elbrus 2009

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
andiy

by andiy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:10 am

For those , who don't want to see toilets everywhere - I suggest you go to the north side. There are not so many people there , but there are not any hotels , barrels , cables either. And i didn' t see any police on our way from Kislovodsk. All the local police must be looking for foreigners on the way from Min Vodi:))

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:56 pm

We were unfortunate. In the week we drove up, they had problems in the border area. That week, they cut of the road between 22h00 and 06h00. During the other hours traffic was heavily regulated/controlled.

Ozclimb

Elbrus

by Ozclimb » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:44 pm

I hate reading about all this bad stuff just before I go coz its freaking me out a bit :x on the other hand its great info that I can use.....AARRRGGGH. Stuff it I am just gonna say "sorry got no money at the moment to pay you a bribe"....."how about you give me your address and I will post the bribe to you when I return to oz" :lol:

andre hangaard

by andre hangaard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Of course you need to have luck and maybe I was extremely lucky with the weather AND the police but I did not experience one SINGLE harassementl during my week in the Caucasus.
I climbed Cheget close to the Georgian border - not any military/police officer in sight, nor on Elbrus or on the way to/from Min Vody. In all honesty I must claim that the people I met were all very friendly. I think I only saw one military guy who was overweight and obviosuly was in charge of the barrier letting cars into Azau. He did not even carry his AK47.
One thing to cater for is of course to make sure that you have all your necessary docs 110% in order. I made tons of paper copies with all the docs, including my passport, page of the RU-visa, the OVIR, the letter from Pilgrim - everything, and stoved in various pockets and copies in my backpack as well as in my hotel. Also I scanned all my docs as JPEG's to my hotmail. This is my advice. Cheers, André

IslandTraveller

by IslandTraveller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 pm

The two times I have been in the Baksan valley it has not been any trouble whatsoever with the police. Lots of speed controls on the main roads outside Baksan (that is to ensure their "salary")? ;-)
I experienced the military as "more honest" than the police. Although not a smoker I wish I had a package of cigarettes with me, they were well sought after by the younger guys in green uniform.

IslandTraveller

by IslandTraveller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 pm

..btw, I still have no partner for Elbrus in September 12-20. I might have to resort to another option (or a guide? *shudder*) soon if not successful... Prefer to not do it solo (hi mom!).

Ozclimb

Elbrus

by Ozclimb » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:03 pm

andre hangaard wrote:Of course you need to have luck and maybe I was extremely lucky with the weather AND the police but I did not experience one SINGLE harassementl during my week in the Caucasus.
I climbed Cheget close to the Georgian border - not any military/police officer in sight, nor on Elbrus or on the way to/from Min Vody. In all honesty I must claim that the people I met were all very friendly. I think I only saw one military guy who was overweight and obviosuly was in charge of the barrier letting cars into Azau. He did not even carry his AK47.
One thing to cater for is of course to make sure that you have all your necessary docs 110% in order. I made tons of paper copies with all the docs, including my passport, page of the RU-visa, the OVIR, the letter from Pilgrim - everything, and stoved in various pockets and copies in my backpack as well as in my hotel. Also I scanned all my docs as JPEG's to my hotmail. This is my advice. Cheers, André

Love the scanning idea :) will most likely do this! hey which one is the OVIR?...is that the one Pilgrim organises once you are there???

andre hangaard

by andre hangaard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:51 pm

As far as I recall the OVIR was one of the papercopies I got from Pilgrim by email. I believe the borderzone doc was the one I was given in Azau...
Also, I perhaps should add to my previous post, it is worth mentioning that I travelled to/from Elbrus all alone and did not speak one singel word of Russian despite hello and goodbye. So don't worry too much!
Last edited by andre hangaard on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Obviously I got unlucky and even so, it wasn't THAT big a problem. It's just money, right? :?

IslandTraveller if you pay for my plane ticket I'll hapilly climb with you. Düsseldorf - Minvodny, I'll handle the rest. :D

Ozclimb

Elbrus

by Ozclimb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:48 pm

I think I have everything now!......just gotta buy an Aussie flag to carry to the summit :) has anyone used video on Elbrus? batteries go flat real quick in the cold I hear. When i did Kili they were okay inside my jacket so im planning on doing the same......

WouterB

by WouterB » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:29 pm

I made a couple of videos on my summitday. It won't get much colder than that and my batteries were fine. Just keep them close to your body. The couple of minutes they are out while you use them don't seem to bother them too much.

Ozclimb

Elbrus

by Ozclimb » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks WouterB, looking forward to it now more than ever...i just hope i get a good summit day. How long did it take from hut to where you were turned back?

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Barrels to Pashtukov was about 3 hours of walking. It's easy up untill the pashtukov rocks, there it gets steaper. From pashtukov rocks till the sadlle was about 2,5 hours. It doesn't look steep, but it just keeps going up. Especially with very low visibility, I found this to be quite hard. We stumbled around on the saddle for about 10 - 15 minutes, but couldn't see a thing. So no idea what we did there. Only 100 - 150m I'd guess.

I was very well acclimatized and in great shape, so it might take you longer or less long, who knows.

Ozclimb

Elbrus

by Ozclimb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Im in okay shape I guess, but would have loved to have been fitter. I will give it my all dont you worry:-)

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Just do NOT get bad weather :shock: :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Europe