Exile from Mountaineering

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Cissa

Re: Exile from Mountaineering

by Cissa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:16 am

If you can move around a bit I´d totally recommend surfing. Will definitely keep your shoulders and back in shape for when you get back into climbing, besides working your cardio and being fun and relaxing.

Rick B

by Rick B » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:30 am

Photography? Can be in the wilderness, or if that's still too taxing go explore the city. Or some more elaborate photo arts: try some "light graffiti", or kite photography, or perhaps using a drone, experiment with time lapse ... etc.

Oh and cycling is always nice, provided your surroundings are suited for that?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Scuba diving, especially the more advanced kind involving technical skills and equipment for deep diving and/or overhead environments (underwater cave exploration, wreck penetration), has some of the same attractions as mountaineering. It requires knowledge, training, physical ability, mental discipline and presence of mind, and the ability to assess and manage potentailly life threatening risk and to overcome fear. There is lots of specialized gear. At the cutting edge it allows an opportunity for true exploration, going places where few (or no) people have ever been. I'm pretty sure fewer people have pulled china out of the dining room on the Andrea Doria, or been to the end of the line at Eagles Nest cave system, than have summited Mt. Everest, for example. I have a number of friends that enjoy both sports as well as some who used to be fanatical climbers who are now fanatical divers. There's fantastic (albeit cold water) diving off the coast of Washington, BC, and Alaska.

Scuba diving does put some stress on your body, especially if you are doing technical dives which require you to jump off the boat with 2+ times your weight in gear strapped to you. With your injuries you'd want to get a doctor's clearance before diving. Once you are under water however, if you master bouyancy control and body position in the water column it can be a very low stress sport, and in fact can take stress off injured parts of your body (e.g., your spine) since you are weightless in the water. Last summer I went diving with someone who one month before had gotten spinal fusion surgery on her T9-T12 vertebrae. I had to help her in and out of the water but once in the water you'd never know she had spine problems. If you aren't pushing the envelope, hovering over a tropical reef that looks like an aquarium full of pretty fish (or playing with an octopus or sea lions in a kelp forest in the cooler Northern Pacific) is every bit as beautiful and relaxing as an easy hike in a high mountain meadow, and looking down over a 5000' underwater wall that drops into the blue can be just as cool as when you are on a vertical wall in the mountains.

technicolorNH

by technicolorNH » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 am

Absolutely agree with what Fletch said. Even if you're not set for getting a career right now you're at a stage where your recovery has you locked in stasis for several months so exploit the current enforced stability for what it's worth. Get a regular job for a while and slug out some cash to pay off the medical bills or use your computer skills to try your hand at self employment. If doing something overseas is a viable option many of the earlier posters had some really good ideas. If not, find multiple things to do that get you out of the house. Boredom fades rapidly once you find something that interests you but in your current state you are faced with having to find something to occupy yourself with other than mountaineering for the first time. Go out and explore something new; you are young and the mountains are patient.

lkav

by lkav » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:04 pm

There are a lot of companies these days that offer a 7-on/7-off schedule allowing for time to do trips etc and still keeping up with ~full time of work.

Online classes in any kind of business/accounting/informatics are safe investments and could be done while you get back into the hills.

The docs aren't always right as it when it's ok to start back into the hills. Not everybody fits the mold they see everyone thru. Ease into it, but don't limit yourself because a doc made a recommendation based on their fear of litigation.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Become an Olympic gymnast. Take up philately and mendication. Train to win the first ultramarathon run backwards. Build a ship capable of interstellar travel.

Or relax.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:55 pm

1. Get a motorcycle. Trust me. For nearly a decade nothing could tear me out of the mountains. Then I got behind the handlebars of my first Harley Davidson. The mountains can wait!
2. Learn a trade! The job market is flooded by a glut of college degrees. I know a lot of miserable people with huge debt loads for a degree they don't even use. Meanwhile, I know skilled tradespeople earning great money in a job they enjoy - and their trade paid for their apprenticeship and ongoing training! Plus, technical mountaineering skills / propensity for mechanical trouble shooting and systems maintenance lend themselves well to a hands-on trade.

Cheers,
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
lkav

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:59 am

Get out and hike! Some of us old farts don't ever get to do some of the things you have done, but we get out and hike.

Take some photos; you're good at that. Take photos of the peaks that you'll some day be able to climb. Some of us can mostly only look backwards at the peaks, but you an look forward to a bunch of them.

Definitely, like others have said, get a job, or better yet an occupation - find what you can enjoy contributing to others.

I just retired and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of my life, but I'm sure as hell not ready to quit looking for things to do and you shouldn't either. Look beyond what you can do for yourself and ask yourself what you can do for others (or the world) - you can do great things and when it helps others it is so much more rewarding.

Previous

Return to General