Expedition Tent- Trango VS Keron

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
keth0601

Expedition Tent- Trango VS Keron

by keth0601 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Looking at options for a good foul weather long-term expedition tent.

I may or may not be using it for Denali, and I have other plans on using it in the arctic as well.

Right now I'm torn between a Hilleberg Keron 3gt or a MH Trango 3. I know they're both solid expedition tents with good reputations. I like the added wind shedding ability that I would assume the Trango has over the Keron, but I like the layout better in the Keron (big fan of tunnel tents when weather allows). The Keron is also just a bit lighter, but at those weight I would consider the difference negligible.

The Trango is obviously cheaper, but this is a tent I plan to use over a longer span of time. My biggest concern about the longevity of the Trango is the PU coated nylon and the plastic windows. I've seen a good number of the windows that have gone bad on older tents (though admittedly have not seen it on a Trango specifically). PU seems to tend to break down over time no matter what you do, and I've not seen that silnylon has that same issue (plus the 40d silnylon on the keron should be much stronger in the first place).

ExcitableBoy

Re: Expedition Tent- Trango VS Keron

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Over the last 15 years more MH Trangos have been used by guide services on Rainier, Denali, and Everest than any other tent. They are very solid, very durable, and very roomy. I have spent many nights in a Trango2 and MH Annapurna (same tent, but with lighter, techier materials). The floor plan is very roomy for two people for extended trips.

Its true that silicone is more UV resistant than polyurethane, however, if you get out enough to wear out a Trango, you are a very lucky man. My most used tent is PU coated nylon and it is going strong after 17 years of a lot of use.

Can't really go wrong with either tent, but I would question if you really need a three person tent. If your plans are for extended trips with three people then a three person tent makes sense. If most of the time your trips are with two people, occasionally adding a third, then a Trango2 would work just fine. These tents are heavy, and personally I would want the lightest tent that fits my needs.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
96avs01

keth0601

by keth0601 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:54 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:Over the last 15 years more MH Trangos have been used by guide services on Rainier, Denali, and Everest than any other tent. They are very solid, very durable, and very roomy. I have spent many nights in a Trango2 and MH Annapurna (same tent, but with lighter, techier materials). The floor plan is very roomy for two people for extended trips.

Its true that silicone is more UV resistant than polyurethane, however, if you get out enough to wear out a Trango, you are a very lucky man. My most used tent is PU coated nylon and it is going strong after 17 years of a lot of use.

Can't really go wrong with either tent, but I would question if you really need a three person tent. If your plans are for extended trips with three people then a three person tent makes sense. If most of the time your trips are with two people, occasionally adding a third, then a Trango2 would work just fine. These tents are heavy, and personally I would want the lightest tent that fits my needs.

My main concern with the Trango 2 was the interior height. I'm 6'2" and wonder if I would be able to sit up properly in the Trango 2? Normally I wouldn't be too concerned, but potentially spending 5+ days in a tent weather-bound I'd want to at least be able to sit up straight and stretch my back a bit... Haven't had a chance to try it in person yet (might get to this year), but just going off my experience in other tents I think it will be cutting it close.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:19 pm

keth0601 wrote:
My main concern with the Trango 2 was the interior height. I'm 6'2" and wonder if I would be able to sit up properly in the Trango 2? Normally I wouldn't be too concerned, but potentially spending 5+ days in a tent weather-bound I'd want to at least be able to sit up straight and stretch my back a bit... Haven't had a chance to try it in person yet (might get to this year), but just going off my experience in other tents I think it will be cutting it close.

My partner on a Ruth Gorge trip that we spent 11 days storm bound in his Trango 2 is 6'1" had no issues. If the Hilleberg has better height and is lighter I would go with that. My only complaint of the Trango is that it is very heavy.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Excellent info as always from EB. His comment about the weight of the Trango 2 is why they'll have to pry my Annapurna from my dead hands. Everyone that's spent a night/trip in that tent loves it. They show up on ebay every now and then if you're patient.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:09 pm

96avs01 wrote:Excellent info as always from EB. His comment about the weight of the Trango 2 is why they'll have to pry my Annapurna from my dead hands. Everyone that's spent a night/trip in that tent loves it. They show up on ebay every now and then if you're patient.

I purposely sold my Alaska Range kit (-15 F FF sleeping bag, big FISH duffel, extra thick sleeping pad, tent, down parka), vowing never to go back after it became so expensive to travel and climb there. I sold my MH Annapurna to a fellow here on SummitPost. Definitely worth the weight savings over a Trango 2 if you can get your hands on one. Same great floor plan, but at least two or more pounds lighter.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Sunny Buns wrote:For less weight, take a peek at a Stephenson Warmlite 2-man for each member of the expedition.

Good call. Their large diameter, RIGID poles make these tents very wind resistant. I spent a couple of rainy nights in my partner's and we had plenty of room for both of us.
we were even able to cook inside with a JetBoil.

As a funny anecdote, I woke up in the middle of the night with my face smashed against the wet tent wall. My partner was smashed tight against me. I mentioned the next day that I thought I had leveled the tent platform well, but I guess it was not flat since we both ended up smashed against one wall. She replied, no, I was just cold and wanted your body heat. :shock:

That said, Stephensons are probably the strongest, roomiest tents for the weight. I did notice condensation was an issue more so than any other tent I've used. They are basically made to order so you could get a long version with the double wall option that they claim reduces condensation. For comparison, my partner had the 2R, single wall version.

Return to Gear