Fastest route from Hood to Rainier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
jeep1212

Fastest route from Hood to Rainier

by jeep1212 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Planning a trip early July to climb Hood and Rainier. Using Google maps, its around 160 miles--but time is 4.5 hours with about 25 turns. The route goes through Gifford Pinchot National Forest. That cannot be right. Would it be faster to drive east or west and jump on the I-5 or I-82?

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 pm

I can't say for sure, but looking at the map on google, I'd probably turn and head back to I-5 and head north. The other way looks a bit too roundabout and complicated.
I'm sure others will chime in.
Btw, Rainier is approx. 3 hours or so from Portland.
Good luck.

Jakester

by Jakester » Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Google Maps gives me this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=TIMBERLINE%20LODGE%20TO%20PARADISE%20RAINIER&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

North on I-5. Makes sense to me. The mileage is a lot longer but simpler.

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue May 25, 2010 12:26 am

Definitely go west to I-5. All those winding mtn roads aren't worth the trouble.

calebEOC

by calebEOC » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 am

I think the 82 route would be considerably slower also.

jeep1212

by jeep1212 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:56 am

perfect--always great to get a locals input

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue May 25, 2010 12:57 am

There ya go. Commence climbin' and drivin'!

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Tue May 25, 2010 5:58 am

Well looking at the route they set, you are in for some horrific driving on HWY 26 into Portland, I took this way last weekend, and it is almost 40 miles [seems like a hundred] of city driving East of Portland, and all of it with traffic lights and 35 mph speed limits! Super frustrating! And the section of Hwy 12 from Napavine to Longmire is very long with lots of speed zones and traffic.

You should take Hwy 35 north from Mt Hood to I-84, then E. to Biggs, jump on 97 North to Yakima then West Hwy 12 over White Pass. This will put you in on the south east corner of the park at Ohanapecosh, and save you a whole bunch of mundane city and interstate and secondary hwy miles. It will also give you some of the best views of Mt.Adams and Mt Rainier, [and Mt. Hood in the rear view mirror]. This is not a complicated route at all, just getting through Portland on 26 is at least 15 turns, and not all that well signed! Stay away from 26!!!!!

Safe Travels and Climbs!

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue May 25, 2010 6:34 am

T Sharp doesn't live around here. 26 east of portland can be bad, but, it can also go very smoothly, if you know what you're doing.
Govt. Camp to I-5 N. in a little over an hour, depending on conditions of course.

no avatar
climberska

by climberska » Tue May 25, 2010 8:49 am

That route by Google maps would likely be the shortest mileage and most scenic to get you to Mt. Rainier NP. No problem in a passenger car, but not real fast. You would go to Hood River, Oregon and just keep going north across the Columbia River to Trout Lake, WA, and follow the small roads to Randle. All minor paved roads or good unpaved roads, no freeways. Great views of Adams. Maybe some of St. Helens, can't remember. Have a map with the forest roads and plenty of gas. There is a Forest Service Ranger station in Trout Lake, WA. Call and ask about the condition of the roads to Randle.

Ask the National Park rangers about roads within the park before you take your trip.

Either of the two other two ways mentioned would work also. That route via Yakima is probably better than I-5. I-5 tends to have a lot of traffic and construction, and of course if you hit Porkland during rush hour on a Friday you will be crawling along.

Before your trip check with ODOT and WADOT, or whatever they're called and check your intended routes to make sure there aren't any major construction delays.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm

twoshuzz wrote:Nobody mentioning I-84 to I-205 N. and across the Glenn Jackson Bridge and hook up with I-5 N. of Vancouver. Saves a little mileage and depending on traffic can save a bit of time around PDX/Vancouver.

T-Sharp... that's a whole lotta Preparation - H !

I was going to mention this route; defiinitely the way to go, vs. coming into Pdx. and meeting I-5, unless you need to come into Portland.
Good one, Twoshuzz.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Wed May 26, 2010 1:55 am

I second (or third) the 84 to 205 to I-5 route.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Wed May 26, 2010 5:01 am

T Sharp wrote:Well looking at the route they set, you are in for some horrific driving on HWY 26 into Portland, I took this way last weekend, and it is almost 40 miles [seems like a hundred] of city driving East of Portland, and all of it with traffic lights and 35 mph speed limits! Super frustrating!

Dude, once you get into town, you are supposed to turn right on 238th to get to I84.... Skip driving Burnside (US 26) that's gonna slow you down.

Don Nelsen

by Don Nelsen » Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 am

Jakester's link shows the best route. I'll "fourth" what other's have said. Once you get to I 84, the cruise goes on and you relax for the next couple of hours. SR 12 is a fast and safe road, too. Should take about four hours from Timberline to Paradise. I've done this, it works.

Don

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 am

OJ Loenneker wrote:
T Sharp wrote:Well looking at the route they set, you are in for some horrific driving on HWY 26 into Portland, I took this way last weekend, and it is almost 40 miles [seems like a hundred] of city driving East of Portland, and all of it with traffic lights and 35 mph speed limits! Super frustrating!

Dude, once you get into town, you are supposed to turn right on 238th to get to I84.... Skip driving Burnside (US 26) that's gonna slow you down.

Dude, now you tell me....besides I drove highway 26 from downtown...not from the east.
So now that all of you Portlandites are telling me where to go, I was wondering how the hell you get from SE Morrison and I-5N onto I-84 East....as I was trying to get out of town, I never saw a sign or any exit that said I-84 east, so I ended up going over 405, up the hill, turning around and then following signs to the genesis of I-84 east. What a mess!

My advice to my fellow Montanan Jeep1212 is to avoid Portland like the plague, and take the scenic route I described above, it calculates out to 245 miles to Longmire and about 5 hours drive time which is 45 miles further than your routes and 45 minutes longer. But half the stress, and twice the view! Coming into the Park from Ohanopecosh, and then on the Stevens Canyon Road to Paradise is absolutely stunning!
If your route leaves from White River, this is absolutely the way to go.

You all have a nice day :)

Next

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)