Favorite National Parks

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 pm

The Chief wrote:None... they are all RV & People magnets.

Amazing how the original intent of the NPS was to protect selected/Designated "Wild" areas from human progress and development.

Definitely agree each and every one of those areas would be nicer if it were NOT a national park.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 pm

National parks can be crowded for sure. However, it's no secret why and I sure can't blame all those other people who want to enjoy the same thing I came for.

My favorite park, hands down, is Yosemite. So beautiful, diverse and wrapped up in lots of good, strong memories. After that, personally, I like SEKI, although for sheer spectacle it's hard to beat Yellowstone. Zion is beautiful too, especially in the fall when the aspens are turning yellow against that bright red sandstone. So much good geology there.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Amazing how the original intent of the NPS was to protect selected/Designated "Wild" areas from human progress and development.

Yeah the people suck and can be overwhelming when trying to enjoy a special place and wishing one could have it all to themselves but you can't deny the absolute beauty and stunning uniqueness which is the reason these places were designated to begin with.

The Zion tram is a step in the right direction, shit people should have to hike in! and yes I agree, get those damn RV's outta the parks, burning all that gas and generators running noisy, YUKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Crowds suck, yes, but wake up early enough in the morning and/or walk a few miles down a trail, you'll still have solitude. Not absolute solitude, mind you, but that's no guarantee on your average hiking trail either

ridgeguy

by ridgeguy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 pm

North Cascades National Park. Amazingly rugged glaciated mountains with no crowds and few roads. One of the best kept secrets I've learned now that I've moved away. Even among the most traveled hikers/climbers, unless you've been there, you don't know what your missing. The Wind Rivers and Tetons are just a taste of what you can find in the North Cascades National Park....and it's surrounding wilderness areas, national forests and national recreation areas.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Great topic!

Of the ones I've been to, my top three are:

Capitol Reef
It's FREE! It's absolute solitude. It's a Park for walkers. It's gorgeous, and a well kept secret. Not crowded. It's remote. It's AWESOME. I'm blessed to be the maintainer for Capitol Reef here at SP: CAPITOL REEF

Glacier
Among the most beautiful places on the planet. We have climbed around ten mountains there. Climbing the mountains is THE ONLY DECENT WAY to really appreciate Glacier. Escaping the crowds in Glacier is easy when you do this. Beauty beyond compare that renders you speechless. Brimming with wildlife. Special beyond words. Presented passionately by my dear friend saintgrizzly right here at SummitPost (SP's top rated Area page BTW): GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. If anyone can find the words to express passion for Glacier, it's him.

Arches
One of the NP system's finest treasures, unique beyond compare. Arches is also a park for walkers. For climbers, some of the finest technical desert climbs are in Arches. Lots of variety for things to do and see. Canyoneering, biking, being a tourist, etc. But getting out and being among the arches is a spiritual event. Delicate Arch at sunset with no one around but me and Ellen is an event in my life I'll never forget. Emotional post? You bet. I'm honored to manage SP's page for Arches, too. So, if you need facts rather than my emotional post, go HERE and let the facts (and fabulous photos) do the rest.

Honorable mention: Volcanoes
I spent my honeymoon logging 22 miles of fun exploration hiking in this thrilling national park. Where else can you readily walk on ground that's younger than you? This is a mind boggling place that reminds you the planet is more of a living thing than one might think.

Chief said:

We just watched the PBS/Ken Burns production about the national parks on DVD. Excellent program. Protection was indeed the initial intent, but NPS Director Steven Mathers went on a mission to make the parks well known and accessible to everyone. He did just that, and in doing so, made them worth saving and protecting through public education about them.

Now we have crowded conditions, particularly in the most popular parks, but at every park I've been to, if one takes the effort to get away from the tourist aspects of the park (even though some are certainly worth seeing), solitude is easily achieved, and John Muir's vision is still very much alive and well.

There's something for everyone at a national park. Thankfully and fortunately, most of the natural wonders that are truly the heart and soul of the parks can only be enjoyed by folks like us that are willing to get away from the hordes and hoof it a bit. The majority of "tourist attractions" are preserved for everyone's enjoyment. However, the average tourist sees very little of the true nature of a national park. They neither have the time or physical energy and ability (or even interest) to do so.

I.E.: Tourists enjoy the ride over Going to the Sun Road in Glacier. They revel in the mountain vistas. We mountain climbers are PART OF THE SCENERY, we're "one" with the place, we're in the tourist's pictures for heaven's sake! (Although they're unaware of this fact, of course). We experience the park, not simply view it from the road in the comfort of an automobile.

We're lucky to have the national parks. The idea has been emulated around the world ever since Yellowstone's creation. People come from around the globe to see our national parks. (I remember being the only English speaking couple on a tour of the Fiery Furnace at Arches one autumn). We are truly blessed to have such wonderful treasures and they are a chief reason why America is so special and regarded so by so many around the world.

eric-griz

by eric-griz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:07 am

Actually the original intent of the NPS was to "protect the natural and historic objects... and allow enjoyment of the same in a manner as to leave them unimpaired for future generations", so allowing people the chance to enjoy the parks has always been an intent. My favorite of the National Parks by the way is Big Bend.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:21 am

Great topic.
Parks I've been to:
1. Denali N.P. I was a park ranger there. Incredible place. Sub-arctic wilderness.

2. Joshua Tree. Began going here on spring break trips down to SoCal to visit my mom, who lives about 1.5 hrs. away. Much fun with my son, camping and scrambling the amazing, Jumbo Rocks. Beautiful place.

3. North Cascades. My son and I did a five day kayak-camping trip on Ross Lake(not really part of the park, more of a Nat'l. Recreation area, but surrounded by the park).
Now, gotta go back and hike, etc. there. Very rugged. Maybe the Alps of North America. Definitely one of the less-visited national parks.

4. Olympic. great time touring, mostly, the peninsula. We did hike down to Shi Shi beach for an overnight, which was lovely. Only hit the tip o' the iceberg with this place, as the backcountry beckons.

5. Grand Teton. Very fun place. Hiked, and one stormy day, kayaked a ways down the Snake river, with views of moose and the clearing Tetons.
One of the best days of my life. Wanna go back and climb the Grand one of these days.

6. Yellowstone. At the time, (right after the Tetons), my son proclaimed, "this is definitely my favorite national park." Amazing place of scenic wonders. Would love to go back and actually backpack, and/or kayak on Yellowstone lake.

7. Glacier. A gem. Reminiscent of the Canadian Rockies. The purity of the place, even with the tourists, is something that found it's way into my soul. Wanna go back and climb some of those mountains.

8. Yosemite. Awesome beauty as well, but I've really only briefly explored. Hope to make it this summer's trip, and play in Tuolumne, and scramble some of those peaks.

9. Mt. Rainier. Son and I did a 3 day backpack on one of the highest, prettiest sections of the Wonderland trail. Fantastic. Massive mountain. 28 glaciers on her. Wildflowers galore.

In Canada, Banff and Jasper. Back to the purity of the northern Rockies which I mentioned regarding Glacier. First time I experienced them was on a solo bike trip, pedaling every day through that stunning, breathtaking beauty. Canadian Rockies, certainly on of my favorite places. Need to go back.

That's about it for now. . .
A couple of notes on what others have mentioned. Yep, they are crowded, and for good reason. Unique places, all of them. Each one very different. Hard to pick a fave; I appreciate them all for being so unique and wonderful in their own right.
Read one time when I was working in Denali, that something like 90 to 95% of all visitors to national parks, never leave the main thoroughfare, whether that be Going to the Sun Road, Denali park highway, the overlook at Grand Canyon, or the Valley floor of Yosemite.

So, wanna ditch the crowds? Sounds like many of you already know how: just put on your walkin' shoes/boots, and get out there. You'll be one of the 5-10% who see the "real park," away from the buses and ice cream and souvenir shops. Though, my son and I do stop at a couple of those places; we just do it on our way out of the park. :)
Last edited by dskoon on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 am

eric-griz wrote:

Actually the original intent of the NPS was to "protect the natural and historic objects... and allow enjoyment of the same in a manner as to leave them unimpaired for future generations", so allowing people the chance to enjoy the parks has always been an intent. My favorite of the National Parks by the way is Big Bend.

Yep, that's accurate.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:30 am

Don't worry, be Happy ...

(1) Arches

(2) Grand Canyon

(3) Mount Rainier

(4) Sequoia/Kings Canyon

(5) Death Valley

"If your eyes are blinded by worry, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset."

"Your coffee won't smell good, either."

:shock:

James_W

by James_W » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:48 am

ericwillhite wrote:North Cascades National Park. Amazingly rugged glaciated mountains with no crowds and few roads. One of the best kept secrets I've learned now that I've moved away. Even among the most traveled hikers/climbers, unless you've been there, you don't know what your missing. The Wind Rivers and Tetons are just a taste of what you can find in the North Cascades National Park....and it's surrounding wilderness areas, national forests and national recreation areas.

North Cascades are no secret. It is the United States British Columbia.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:14 am

mrchad9 wrote:

Definitely agree each and every one of those areas would be nicer if it were NOT a national park.
not to start a debate here, but while nps are people magnets they still allow for the preservation of land that would. Otherwise become urbanized. And while this may or may not be urbanization on a large scale, overtime it would mostly become largely populated because of the beauty of each national park. National parks keep this from happening while still allowing access.

patb

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:14 am

dskoon wrote:
eric-griz wrote:

Yep, that's accurate.

Yep... and building miles of roads, bridges, strores, eateries and hotels etc within the confines of these Parks sure is an appropriate attempt at protecting the natural and historic objects, right?

Oh, I am very happy thank you. I have my secret spots all within 30 minutes from my home where not a soul will be encountered and I do not have to wait in some longass line to pay an entrance fee.

Patrick B wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

not to start a debate here, but while nps are people magnets they still allow for the preservation of land that would. Otherwise become urbanized. And while this may or may not be urbanization on a large scale, overtime it would mostly become largely populated because of the beauty of each national park. National parks keep this from happening while still allowing access.

patb

I remember when Josh was nothing but some dirt roads through a bunch of rocks where only a few locals hung out for weeks at a time and climbed.

Now that it is a Park.... it is a great big asphalt parking lot with paved roads and thousands of people throughout and a spewing tons of urbanization. What a waste.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Favorite National Parks

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:37 am

Patrick B wrote:My question to you is what's your favorite national park?

That question is impossible to answer.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:11 am

The Chief wrote:
dskoon wrote:
eric-griz wrote:

Yep, that's accurate.

Yep... and building miles of roads, bridges, strores, eateries and hotels etc within the confines of these Parks sure is an appropriate attempt at protecting the natural and historic objects, right?

I remember when Josh was nothing but some dirt roads through a bunch of rocks where only a few locals hung out for weeks at a time and climbed.

Now that it is a Park.... it is a great big asphalt parking lot with paved roads and thousands of people throughout and a spewing tons of urbanization. What a waste.

It's all a matter of perspective, Chief.
Yep, that's all Joshua Tree is, a great big asphalt parking lot. . . a total waste. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to General