Favorite Tahoe Area Peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
sgenise

Favorite Tahoe Area Peaks

by sgenise » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:56 am

Hey all! I'm new to mountaineering, and I'm looking for good peaks in the Tahoe area to either climb, or simply to practice my skills on in the spring and early summer. I climbed Telescope Peak this past week, but the snow wasn't really something that necessitated ice axes or crampons, so I'm hoping for some good places to hone those skills. Ideally something I could solo, but if that's an inherently terrible idea, let me know haha.

Thanks!

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Favorite Tahoe Area Peaks

by Bob Burd » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:07 pm

The Tahoe OGUL list of peaks has been a hit with many peakbaggers over the years. Lots of good choices there. Not a terrible idea to solo these. For the most part, they are far more benign that the those in the High Sierra to the south. If you give any new snow a week or two to settle, they can be great fun.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
sgenise

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:27 pm

They have all that stuff in Tahoe but the best thing in that place is just driving around until you see some thing that you want to climb.

fedak

by fedak » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:13 am

Snowline is at 7-8k and melting fast up here in Tahoe.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:01 pm

In the winter, I often ski Relay Pk. and Mt. Houghton. In the summer, I often hike up Mt. Rose and nearby Church Pk. If I have a little extra time, I make a loop and climb all four. All are easy and over 10K. These peaks keep me more-or-less in shape without spending much time away from home.

no avatar
fruitflyman

by fruitflyman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:16 am

Does anyone know snow conditions on the NW side of Angora Peak (Indian Rock chutes) or the West Face or North Maggies? I don't suppose there's any ice on Maggies?

sierraman

by sierraman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:05 pm

You have to go out of your way to find any technical routes on Tahoe area peaks, although they can be found. I like Rubicon Peak, it's not a complete walkup, takes a little bit of routefinding and affords a great view. Even though it snowed last night, fedak is correct about the meltoff. At my cabin (6,000') it went from 24" of snow pack to 0" of snowpack in 10 days.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
sgenise

Return to California