Feeling Defeated

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Marmaduke

Feeling Defeated

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 am

I went to Lassen (Calif) this weekend for my first snowshoe/climb trip of a peak. I set off for Chaos Crags and at one point knew the trail (other shoes prints) were not going the right direction and checked my compass. I decided to break trail and follow my instincts and compass. I ended up being right. BUT, my time was limited as my daughter had a soccer tournement 1 hour away. So, as i was climbing the ridge and knowing I was close to the summit I stopped and went back to get to her game. Part of me says I should have gone on to the summit. Yes? or No?

mrchad9

Re: Feeling Defeated

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:58 am

Good grief! What does it take to get you to go up a mountain?

How many soccer tournaments does your daughter have? Seems like every weekend- all summer, and now in the winter? Don't they have seasons?

So I ask you, how many soccer tournaments did you watch in the past year? How many peaks (of Lassen's stature) did you climb?

And which do you think you will remember more 20 years from now? One tournament or your first trip up Lassen?

She's going to hate you when she's 16 anyway so you might as well do what you like now.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 am

mrchad9 wrote:Good grief! What does it take to get you to go up a mountain?

How many soccer tournaments does your daughter have? Seems like every weekend- all summer, and now in the winter? Don't they have seasons?

So I ask you, how many soccer tournaments did you watch in the past year? How many peaks (of Lassen's stature) did you climb?

And which do you think you will remember more 20 years from now? One tournament or your first trip up Lassen?

She's going to hate you when she's 16 anyway so you might as well do what you like now.

F U, have a kid, you might understand. No I doubt it. :)

Somebody besides Chad?

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
mrchad9

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 am

What are you trying to get out of this thread then? A hug and some validation that you made the right decision? No one can answer this question but yourself. But if you are going to seek that answer on the internet, go ahead and give some background.

How many soccer tournaments?
How many peaks like Lassen?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:15 am

mrchad9 wrote:What are you trying to get out of this thread then? A hug and some validation that you made the right decision? No one can answer this question but yourself. But if you are going to seek that answer on the internet, go ahead and give some background.

How many soccer tournaments?
How many peaks like Lassen?

Soccer tournaments attended- 4
" " missed - 2
Times son is hospital - 7
Peaks climbed -5
Planned climbs, but not, about 15

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 am

Actually, it was a good thing Chad responded. I know I did the right thing. I wanted to keep going (my son was with me and he did as well) but that same hike will be there tomorrow and the next day and the mountain doesn't go away either. But the games I watched would have been gone, they would have gone away. Dumb thread, sorry.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:34 am

twoshuzz wrote:Chaos will be there tomorrow, next week, next month and so on. Personally, I'd have done the same. Time flies and eventually, so will your children. Hopefully you can return to Chaos with them in the future.

Still enjoyed your trip ? Enjoyed the game ? Made your daughter happy ? Win, win, win.

Also, I was glad to read your son is back home with you. Hope he remains healthy and is able to stay.

Thanks Shuzz!! yes, it was a great weekend, I turned 49 and my son and I hiked!! My daughter's team lost 1 to 0 in the championship game, but it was great!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 am

Marmaduke wrote:Dumb thread, sorry.

Agreed, but your post had good grammar and was easy for us to understand. That's a good thing.

And sounds like you enjoyed your weekend. great

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 am

Troy- I think you just need to do what you want to do and not seek internet validation. That part went over some folks' heads.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 am

mrchad9 wrote:Troy- I think you just need to do what you want to do and not seek internet validation. That part went over some folks' heads.

I don't believe it went over anybody, It was a sincere post question. Thanks for solidifing that though.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 am

Marmaduke wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Troy- I think you just need to do what you want to do and not seek internet validation. That part went over some folks' heads.

I don't believe it went over anybody, It was a sincere post question. Thanks for solidifing that though.

I don't believe that. You posted a question, and what you wanted was for folks who don't even know you to validate your decision.

Be comfortable with your decision and move on!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:10 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

I don't believe that. You posted a question, and what you wanted was for folks who don't even know you to validate your decision.

Be comfortable with your decision and move on!

You're entitled to believe whatever you want.

Joe White

by Joe White » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 am

Marmaduke wrote:So, as i was climbing the ridge and knowing I was close to the summit I stopped and went back to get to her game. Part of me says I should have gone on to the summit. Yes? or No?

I don't always get this right...but it seems to me like putting the relationship I have with my daughter above summits, especially when she is young seems like a wise ordering of priorities.

The following user would like to thank Joe White for this post
Brad Marshall

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:06 am

twoshuzz wrote:

"Internet validation ?" Really ? Take a look in the fucking mirror.

Yeah really. Maybe you should read the opening post and you wouldn't have to ask me that.

I offered to take Troy out several times, every few weeks it would start again as though he was pumped up to head out. Firmed up plans once, were working out a second trip. Didn't pan out as both fell apart with 1-2 days notice. Soccer tournaments always. So when you come on SP asking everyone if you should go to a soccer tournament instead, what is that if not asking folks to validate your decision? Well?

And not sending screenshots to anyone... not even an elf. But you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

I don't know why you are so butthurt, but I hope you find peace.

Charles

by Charles » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 pm

It´ll still be there next time. You had a commitment, or I assume you did, to catch the soccer tournament. Shame that you missed out on it though.

Lesson to be learned?

Get up and out a 2 hours earlier! 8)

Next

Return to General