Finsteraarhornhutte from Grimselpass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Koen

Finsteraarhornhutte from Grimselpass

by Koen » Mon May 28, 2007 8:34 pm

Planning to go to the Finsteraarhornhutte starting from the Grimsel pass in the second week of july. Berghaus Oberaar - Oberaarjoch - Gemschlicke - Finsteraarhornhutte.

I have some questions:

- is there a possibility that the road to Berghaus Oberaar is open this time of the year (guess this depends on possible snow that might be there)?
- conditions of the glaciers, especially the Oberaargletscher?

Any information from people who have (recently) done this route would be much appreciated.

tnx
Koen

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Finsteraarhornhutte from Grimselpass

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed May 30, 2007 8:34 am

In july the road to Berghaus Oberaar should always be open. Driving upwards is allowed every full hour for the following ten minutes, driving downwards half past +10' vice versa.

First part of the Oberaar glacier is usually dry / aper, snow line between 2700m and 3000m depending on weather of course. In the upper part several crevasses have to be crossed.

Gemsschlicke often is prone to stonefall on the western side, with dry + warm conditions better walk down the Galmiglacier to the junction at "Rotloch".

Descent from Finsteraar hut takes nearly the same time; once it took us nearly nine hours due to bad conditions... (klick for trip report, in german)

Martin

Koen

by Koen » Thu May 31, 2007 12:27 pm

Martin,

Thank you for this very useful information (and trip report). I hope this july won't be as hot as last year. We went up the Fieschersattel from the west last year in july and I don't want to have a similar experience again (a lot of rockfall...).

Cheers
Koen

Return to Europe