Full Gear bag with Airlines?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Apex

Full Gear bag with Airlines?

by Apex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 am

Hello everyone,

In a week I will be heading off to Calgary to visit some friends and go on a climbing/backpacking trip in the Rockies. Accompanying me will be my Arc'teryx Bora 65, packed to the bring full of gear, including sleeping bag, thermarest, climbing rope, hardware, lots of clothing, etc...

Is there a weight/size limit that I should know of? I'm guessing it will weigh around 35 pounds give or take 10... And be massive to boot. Will it be possible to check this bag? I'd really hate to be turned down because my pack is too large or too heavy.

Cheers,
-Eric D.

MScholes

by MScholes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:20 am

I doubt anyone would turn you around for having too large of a bag, they might charge you extra baggage fee or weight fee or something of the sort. When I fly on my tiny little dash planes back and forth into the north, we're allowed 50lbs per bag and 2 bags a person without being charged extra, and these planes are full to the brim, there's always room for the baggage... but might have to pay just a wee bit extra, but if it's also your only bag, I highly doubt they'll make a fuss over it.

MScholes

by MScholes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:21 am

Each airline is different though, but 35lbs isn't that much imo for a checked bag.

tommarchall

by tommarchall » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:12 am

most major carriers allow for 2 bags at 23kg or around 50lbs. if you go over they charge anywhere from $50-$150, the fee always seems random to me. however check your itinerary sometimes a small local flight will only allow one bag at 20kg. but thats only happened to me once.

Apex

by Apex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:47 am

And would it be a problem if I strapped some items to the outside such as a thermarest/tent? I'm worried about it getting damaged, which is highly likely, thought that would be the only way to fit most of my gear. I'd rather have a damaged thermarest than a climbing rope and be unsure as to wether or not its okay to use.

tommarchall

by tommarchall » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:07 am

I should have specified in my earlier post that its 2 bags at 23 or maybe 24kg EACH. not total (note this weight could change I assume you're flying air canada, if so simply check you E-ticket for rules...etc). So in your case, i think you said you're only taking one bag in your first post, you may want to bring a second duffel bag or something to put some gear in to spread the load. If you were to bring another bag you could put your tent and thermarest in it which would be much safer then on the outside of your pack.

I've had bags come out ripped; once my stuff just came out in bunches of clothes with a torn bag at the end, but that was a cheap suitcase. With your bora i'd make sure you've got the straps tucked in as much as possible, though sometimes with back packs they'll put them in a plastic bag to prevent the straps getting caught and broken. When i travel with a pack i use two duffels and put my back pack in one of the duffels and use the second (or a smaller bag if appropriate) to ensure both packs are below the weight limit.

Apex

by Apex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:23 am

Forgot to mention another part of my travel itinerary. After the trip, I'm hitching a ride with a friend back to Vancouver, and taking a ferry back home :?

I already considered taking another duffle, but being a walk-on passenger on a ferry with one huge ass backpack, daypack, and another duffle would be a royal pain in the ass.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 am

I beleive most airlines have a 50 lb per bag limit. Anything over that is considered overweight and you have to pay a fee. 35 lb is nothing really. I carried a 45 L pack packed to the brim (clothes only, no metal gear) inside the cabin as carry on and wasnt give any bad looks or anything!

When checking in backpack its a good idea to tuck in or remove any unecessary straps and or accesories. You can try taping them. Anything that might get caught in the bagage handling mecanisms.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Apex wrote:Forgot to mention another part of my travel itinerary. After the trip, I'm hitching a ride with a friend back to Vancouver, and taking a ferry back home :?

I already considered taking another duffle, but being a walk-on passenger on a ferry with one huge ass backpack, daypack, and another duffle would be a royal pain in the ass.

Have you considered purchasing a wheeled duffle that meets the size limitations for the airline you're flying with. You should be able to pack everything in there and leave it in the motel or car when you're out climbing. Something like TNF's Rolling Thunder? Check the weight of your duffle on a scale at one of the empty check-in counters before actually checking-in with the airline. If the weight of your duffle gets close to the 50 lb limit try carrying some of your heavier gear in your carry-on like boots, tent, etc. (nothing prohibited of course). This will make carrying all your gear around much easier especially when you're on the ferry.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:28 pm

I have your answer. Osprey makes (or used to make) a very light weight but tough bag called the: AirporterLZ. It rolls up very small, weighs hardly anything and has enough room for your pack and various other objects if wanted. Just put your pad in first as a tube and your pack inside that. Protects your gear and keeps everything together, you can even lock it. Good for planes or busses. I've used this bag all over South America and really found it to be a great product.

adventurer

by adventurer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:34 pm

+1 on Brad's suggestion about using a large duffle.

Check with your airline for their specific bag size and weight rules.

I would think twice about strapping anything to the outside of your baggage or checking a backpack. The possibility of damage is one thing but the big risk is theft.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I have a couple of rolling duffels. They are great to have, but can weight 10 lbs or more.

I suggest that you take heavy items like your boots in your carry on. I also suggest that you buy a cheap spring scale (EBAY about $10-15) and weigh your bag before you go.

I have a Dana Designs rolling duffel, which is quite good. But I am more impressed with my Eddie Bauer rolling duffel because the price was good (about $75 USD/ 5+ years ago), and it has held up well on 3-4 trips/year.

no avatar
robpatterson5

by robpatterson5 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Call your airline and get the deal.
A $5 duffel folds down small, and allows you to check two bags, just dont fill it... Smile
I also carry a 30L carry on bag with all my heavy stuff and wear boots ect on the plane

Moni

by Moni » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:16 am

Just got back from Europe - allowed 1 bag weighing 50 lbs max for free. Second bag would cost 55$ each way. Overweight bag costs 150$. This was Delta and its partners.

Check the airline you plan to fly with first.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:56 am

I read somewhere that the reason most airlines have stricter bag restrictions is to discourage people from bringing more stuff with them so the airline can use more space on the cargo holds for commercial cargo. Its big business for passenger airlines. I read that on most any given flight you will find all type of cargo beneath the passenger compartment from perishable food items to electronics.

At any rate, get the lightest duffel bag you can!

Next

Return to Gear