Gould to Dragon or reverse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jenrau

Gould to Dragon or reverse

by jenrau » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:33 pm

Was planning on doing Gould with a friend and showed Dragon as the extension I’ll do next time and she was all for it. Apparently she has done some exposed easy climbs. I rock climb so I lose perspective on what people find scary sometimes but I showed her pictures. Anyhow a lot of the trip reports show people going up Dragon first but that looks like the better summit but going up Mt Gould first would be less committing and some people say the descent off Dragon is nicer. Any thoughts? Also if anyone has great gpx files we absolutely must avoid any class 4 she can’t do it but I have a few and can figure it out.

Deb

Re: Gould to Dragon or reverse

by Deb » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:03 pm

jenrau wrote:Was planning on doing Gould with a friend and showed Dragon as the extension I’ll do next time and she was all for it. Apparently she has done some exposed easy climbs. I rock climb so I lose perspective on what people find scary sometimes but I showed her pictures. Anyhow a lot of the trip reports show people going up Dragon first but that looks like the better summit but going up Mt Gould first would be less committing and some people say the descent off Dragon is nicer. Any thoughts? Also if anyone has great gpx files we absolutely must avoid any class 4 she can’t do it but I have a few and can figure it out.

I've done it both ways and prefer Dragon to Gould. Hopefully you won't run into any ice on the dark scramble up Dragon. That section can't be avoided, so going from Gould to Dragon may work better with warmer weather on descent. Gould is a stiff scramble to the summit block; just don't tell your friend that it's Class 4. HAHA

Return to California