GPS Suggestions for Clark Griswold...

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 am

Do you want to pre-load routes/tracks onto the GPS from your computer? Do you already have mapping software?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:53 pm

grammys11 wrote:I don't even know what you are talking about... :lol: maybe start me slow... ironically, I play with spreadsheets all day, but im a big zero when it comes to software... and hardware for that matter...

Don't you just go hiking and it tells you where you are? (Sorry im such a dunce)

All of 'em (the hand-held type that is), including my very old one, will tell you where you are by giving you your coordinates. Some will display a map and show your location on it (mine doesn't) - you have to buy the detailed maps separately. Some will allow you to trace out your route on a map in a computer and upload that route to the GPS unit - then when it shows where you are, you can also see if you are on your route. My old one will allow me to program in a bunch of places along a route (waypoints) so it can tell me when I get to those places - does the same sort of thing as the route on the map, but does it without the map.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 pm

I highly recommend that you borrow a newer GPS from a friend, and just walk around your neighborhood with the GPS, to get an idea for the capabilities. The manuals for most are available on line.

For some mapping models, the maps are either part of the deal (DeLorme), or can often be had for free (Garmin) from public domain sources. Even non-mapping units generally have displays that will show your track (if the unit is kept on), or at least your position relative to waypoints you have set at the time or keyed in beforehand from sources such as SP (waypoints such as mountains, trailheads, etc.)

This site is a little dated, but still helpful:
http://gpsinformation.net/

billisfree

by billisfree » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm

I was map and compass type too.

BUT... after hiking up a mountain - with the trail five feet below the snow in the dense forest and fog. I THOUGHT I was smart enough to follow my own tracks back... and pick up the ribbon markers on the trees.

Needless to say... I encountered frozen ground, picked up the wrong tracks and in the fog and trees, a map was worthless. I had to sped the rainy night out until a SAR unit located me. And I sure did cuss all night about my stupidity.

Another time, I was trying to reach a ridge through a dense forest. Again the trail was undersnow. Knowing the topo, I held a course, slightly uphill toward the ridge. It was hard to tell how high I was. It was hard to repeatly keep on a compass course after crossing so many windfalls. When I finally did reach a clearing... I realized I had circled around a small mountain and made little or no progress to the ridge. Getting back to the trailhead was even scarier. Fortunatelly, I reached a forest sign and kinda made out a trail that was still below the snow.

Ever since, I carried a GPS with me. I always plot my path as I hike into the woods. I have much more freedom to roam the forests and alpine charn with great confidence that I can promptly double back to the trail again. I'd go places I wouldn't normally go. On Mt. Adams I carried a GPS... followed the trail then when high off-trail over pretty alpine meadows. Then crossed over to intercept the trail I came up. The feeling of confidence is great!

On Mt. Jefferson I TRIED to cut off the trail and head for the summit... hoping the forest would thin out. It didn't... then coming down... you don't always know if you're going down the same way. And I paused at point - where my GPS said the trail was only 20 ft away... and not in sight. I walked a few more feet - and there it was!

On Three Fingered Jack - in the burned out area. Coming down, I realized the trail up made a zigzag over relatively level ground. So... with GPS, I made a bee-line for the car over relatively clear terrain... great time-saver! I wouldn't encourage this, but the area was burned out, mostly sand and dirt, little foilage.

Word of note... when climbing mountains... as long as you're climbing uphill - you know where you will end up - at the top. The opposite ain't true. You could easily be miles from the trailhead when you descend.

I had a simple Etrex... and since moved up to an Etrex Legend.

Do your buying on E-bay - you can easily get a brand new GPS for half the price.

no avatar
Howard71

Garmin 60CSx

by Howard71 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 am

Grammys:

You might look at the Garmin 60CSx. it's a GPS that can you can start out with and grow into increasing capabilities as you become familiar with it. Some of the reasons I like it:

1. Barometric or GPS altimeter - you choose.

2. Magnetic or GPS compass - you choose. The GPS compass only works when you're moving, but it isn't subject to orientation or surrounding magnetic confusion. Stop and the magnetic compass is available.

3. Can accept Garmin or other maps.

4. Uses the micro sd cards for data storage, doesn't require a proprietary (expensive & limited size) data card.

5. Good battery life, you can choose "battery saver mode" which is really frugal but less precise positions or "normal" which has better positions but shorter battery life.

6. Waypoints and track points get at time & date stamp. Not only do they store position, but they store position and time and date.

7. Records severa thousand track points, allowing precise mapping of trails, etc.

8. Good reception under trees and in canyons.

These are not cheap units, but they can be purchased for around $300 if you shop around.

Howard

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 am

^^ $260.40 and free shipping on amazon.com right now.

Return to Gear