Grand Canyon Child Abuse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
surgent

Grand Canyon Child Abuse

by surgent » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 pm

This is making news here in Arizona:

Man accused of abusing grandsons on Grand Canyon hikes
Sept. 1, 2011 06:15 AM
Associated Press

FLAGSTAFF - Federal authorities have charged an Indiana man with child abuse after he allegedly forced his three young grandsons on brutal Grand Canyon hikes this month.

Authorities say Christopher A. Carlson, of Indianapolis, is accused of beating the boys, making them walk on ulcerated blisters, denying them food and water and forcing them to run up the trail under the intense sun.

A complaint filed by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Flagstaff says rangers and passersby noted the alleged abuse by Carlson against the boys, ages 12, 9 and 8.

The Arizona Daily Sun says one of the hikes was 19 miles last weekend when temperatures reached 108 degrees at Phantom Ranch along the Colorado River.

Carlson remains in Coconino County Jail. It's unclear whether he has an attorney.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/09/01/20110901grand-canyon-hikes-child-abuse-charges.html#ixzz1Wj7Xt8Iy

==========

Temps have been about 105-110 F within the Grand Canyon in recent days.

I can think of a perfect punishment for this m-f.

Sarah Simon

Re: Grand Canyon Child Abuse

by Sarah Simon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Good God!

Teaching your (grand)kid how to persevere through hardship in a constructive fashion is one thing.

Torturing them is another. I would not be surprised if either of these boys never sets foot in the great outdoors again. Sad.
Go climb a mountain

surgent

by surgent » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:31 pm

I doubt there was any sort of teaching going on. The kids showed signs of previous abuse, so this was not their first incident with their not-so-grandfather. He is being held on federal charges, since it happened on NP land.

It sickens me. I'd take him to the bottom, then say "start walking" to the top. No water, no shoes, no food. If he makes it, then try him in court.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 pm

surgent wrote:
It sickens me. I'd take him to the bottom, then say "start walking" ...

The court system is too dysfunctional.

I would release a container full of scorpions for the guy to walk through on the trail back up from Phantom.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 pm

An imported swarm of flesh-eating mosquitoes from Costa Rica wouldn't hurt, either .... well, I guess they WOULD hurt.

:shock:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:09 am

lcarreau wrote:
surgent wrote:
It sickens me. I'd take him to the bottom, then say "start walking" ...

The court system is too dysfunctional.

I would release a container full of scorpions for the guy to walk through on the trail back up from Phantom.

Has there been any reports on the kids? I hope they are as healthy as can be. Man, what a sick "grandpa"

Sad but the court system will probably find he is not stable, a jury will find a lesser charge to convict on and SORRY but a very liberal judge will give "time served" and 100 hours community service.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:29 am

Marmaduke wrote:
Has there been any reports on the kids? I hope they are as healthy as can be. Man, what a sick "grandpa"

The latest from Fox News ..

"Federal paperwork reveals Christopher Carlson nearly hiked his three grand-kids to the brink of death.

In one day, the 12, 9 and 8-year-old boys hiked nearly 20 miles in 108 degrees at the Grand Canyon.

The court paperwork says the boys were on the trail when the sun rose. They weren't given breakfast -- only celery -- to eat. They did not get water."

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:26 am

lcarreau wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

The latest from Fox News ..

"Federal paperwork reveals Christopher Carlson nearly hiked his three grand-kids to the brink of death.

In one day, the 12, 9 and 8-year-old boys hiked nearly 20 miles in 108 degrees at the Grand Canyon.

The court paperwork says the boys were on the trail when the sun rose. They weren't given breakfast -- only celery -- to eat. They did not get water."

Wow, very sad and based on the heat I guess maybe lucky to be alive. But FOXnews reporting?? Many here think they have a bias.

no avatar
WebTraveler

by WebTraveler » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:08 am

How can a network be bias in reporting this tragedy? If you don't believe any of the news channels, in case they are ALL biased. then check out the National Parks Traveler - they are carrying the story.

The following user would like to thank WebTraveler for this post
surgent

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Okay - okay! Here's the link from National Parks Traveler ----

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/09/grandfather-accused-endangering-health-and-welfare-grandsons-during-inner-gorge-hike-grand-canyon-na8714

Fox News biased ??? Geez, that's a new one on me. Was beginning to think Bill O'Reily was my long lost Grandfather ... :shock:

surgent

by surgent » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Drop this "bias" shit. It is what it is.

He is being held on federal charges. You actually have to read the articles and explore further.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 pm

surgent wrote:Drop this "bias" shit. It is what it is.

He is being held on federal charges. You actually have to read the articles and explore further.

I'm not sure what your issue is, was just poking fun a those who say FOX is biased since it was used as a news source.
And I read the link you posted, there wasn't much info there.

ridgeguy

by ridgeguy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Marmaduke wrote:I'm not sure what your issue is, was just poking fun a those who say FOX is biased since it was used as a news source.
And I read the link you posted, there wasn't much info there.

I fell for your poke as well. I thought you were serious. Kinda funny now that I understand.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:25 am

ericwillhite wrote:
I fell for your poke as well. I thought you were serious. Kinda funny now that I understand.

I didn't fall for it. I knew (all along) he wasn't serious.

Have you ever noticed how many female reporters Fox News has on board ...? ?

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Marmaduke

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)