Grivel G14 crampon conversion. Doable? Trade?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Deltakyp

Grivel G14 crampon conversion. Doable? Trade?

by Deltakyp » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 am

I have a pair of "New-matic" (plastic toe bail) style G14's, though had debated between them and the wire-bail style of the "Cramp-o-matics". Should have gone with the wirebail as the plastic toe-bail G14's BARELY fit LS Nepal Evo GTX's (46), got the entender bar, but the boots ended up being too small anyway so upgrading to Baruntses but adding K2 Ultralight overboots for Denali. Not sure how the plastic bail will fare with the extra bulk, want to convert to the wire bail...

Looks easy enough to do: remove plastic bail, drill small "keeper" holes in fwd-most side points to hook wire-bails into. Neither Grivel nor any dealer i've called sells the 'replacement' wire bail to be able to do this. Any ideas? Anyone wanna trade cramp-o-matics for new-matic G14's??

JHH60

Re: Grivel G14 crampon conversion. Doable? Trade?

by JHH60 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Maybe not trade, since I now have several sets of crampons, but I have a pair of Crampomatic G14s that I've only used a few times (maybe six days on the ice) that I'd be interested in selling. I have a spare set of front points as well, that I bought when Grivel distribution was looking uncertain, that I'd be happy to throw in.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 pm

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... antik.html

Lots of info here. Use the Petzl front bail w/o the "loops" in the wire.

Deltakyp

by Deltakyp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:45 am

JHH60 wrote:Maybe not trade, since I now have several sets of crampons, but I have a pair of Crampomatic G14s that I've only used a few times (maybe six days on the ice) that I'd be interested in selling. I have a spare set of front points as well, that I bought when Grivel distribution was looking uncertain, that I'd be happy to throw in.

Thanks, my "new-matic"s probably aren't tradeable either as they've got quite a bit of use on them. Will think about the crampomatics you have. Getting new Baruntse's later this summer once i'm back stateside, will fit them to the "newmatics" to check the fit w/ an extender bar. Will get back with you then if i'd look to change to the cramp-o's.

Return to Gear