Grizzly Mountain...Glacier.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
BobSmith

Grizzly Mountain...Glacier.

by BobSmith » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I'll be in Glacier National Park in August 2015. How difficult is a round trip hike to the summit of Grizzly Mountain (Two Medicine area) and back to the trailhead? Just wondering if it's a realistic goal for me. I'm a fairly strong hiker, but I don't want to trot through grizzly country and chance surprising an ornery bear. I read various distances for the hike--anywhere from 19-26 miles round-trip. Any information and advice greatly appreciated.

distressbark

Re: Grizzly Mountain...Glacier.

by distressbark » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Round-trip distance is 20-22 miles, with about 4,00 feet of elevation gain. 7.5 miles and 2,500 feet or on the beautiful trial to Two Medicine Pass. The off-trail portion is uncomplicated, with a short, obvious class III gully providing access to the marvelous summit. Many extremely strong, experienced GNP hikers I know have completed Grizzly in a day, and the consensus is that it's a long, tiring slog. It's certainly doable, but you're probably looking at a 10+ hour day.

I climbed Grizzly in July 2013 after spending a beautiful night at Cobalt Lake. This is undoubtedly the most enjoyable way to summit. Cobalt Lake only has 2 backcountry sites, and it's a wonderful destination, so availability can be problematic. But if you're able to snag a site, you can wake up early, string up excess gear at the campsite and be to the top of Grizzly in less than 4 hours.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)