Guanella Pass Rd - open from Grant, Colorado?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
hgrapid

Guanella Pass Rd - open from Grant, Colorado?

by hgrapid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I plan next weekend (May 4) to hit the Three Mile Creek trailhead three miles up Guanella Pass Road from Grant, Colorado.
Is it open yet? At least 3 miles north from Grant, Colorado to the trailhead at 9,000'.

Sarah Simon

Re: Guanella Pass Rd - open from Grant, Colorado?

by Sarah Simon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:08 am

I am reasonably sure that is a year-round parking lot. In fact, I've used that parking lot most months of snow season. Note, however, that parking at this lot is VERY limited, so arrive early!
Go climb a mountain

DerekFreed

by DerekFreed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 am

Like Sarah said, open all winter. One time after a heavy snow in winter I recall having to bust through a snowbank created by the snowplow clearing Guanella Pass road, but besides that I've never had issues.

The true winter closure is many miles further north on Guanella Pass road, close to Duck Lake.

hgrapid

by hgrapid » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks. The problem is that we won't arrive until say at least Noon. What other options for parking might we have, or do we have to bail out??? If we do, we can always go to Hoosier Pass on our way to Vail.

Return to Colorado