Have anyone used Kong Slyde?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

jschrock wrote:Looks like it could be used like an adjustable daisy...which might be the original "designed" purpose.

Is it like a daisy :?:

:lol:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu May 20, 2010 11:05 am

Yep jschrock, it could be like an adjustable daisy chain as you can change the distance to the cable by pulling the rope. Therefore the Slyde would absorb a chute better than a simple sling but I haven't used it yet

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Looks interesting, I might try it.

Obvious advantages over a sling are the shock absorbing qualities, so I think that in combination with a piece of 11 mm rope it would form a good alternative for a static sling or daisy chain.

Of course, a lot depends on how easy it is to adjust it.

Plus, what imo is the biggest concern here is the connection to the harness (website shows it on the belay loop). Wouldn't it be possible for the Slyde to slide (hehe) over the gate section of the biner unnoticed, breaking it open in case of a fall (see similar issues with 8 descenders...)?

Of course this could be prevented by using a Belay Master biner.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm starting to understand what it's used for now. But I'd rather get the KISA for that.

Not quite sure if it's that useful though. Especially since it adds quite a bit of weight for something so simple.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu May 20, 2010 4:51 pm

BrunoM wrote:Looks interesting, I might try it.

Obvious advantages over a sling are the shock absorbing qualities, so I think that in combination with a piece of 11 mm rope...

It only can be used with 9 mm ropes Bruno

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Thu May 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Oh ok, my mistake.

brenta

by brenta » Thu May 20, 2010 5:36 pm

These devices have become popular with via ferrata enthusiasts, but were originally designed for climbers. In the early eighties, I had two precursors of the KISA (one made by Kong and one made by Grivel) for use as energy absorbers in roped solo climbing.

Also, "longe" is French for "lanyard" (in the climbing context). The French word is used in Italian too. The translators at Kong must have thought it more international than it is, though I don't know what word British climbers use.

Previous

Return to Gear