Heinrich Harrer

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
cherokee

Heinrich Harrer

by cherokee » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:32 pm

Unless I missed another post I wanted to state my sadness on the passing of Heinrich Harrer. He passed away January 7th.

I was fortunate to have interviewed and photographed Heinrich several times over the years starting back in 1975. My copy of the White Spider has a wonderful note written in it from Heinrich that I will now treasure even more.

Some resented Heinrich when after many years he revealed that he was a member of the Nazi party in his youth yet not an active participant . I can't imagine living in those times in Austria and Germany so I'd never pass judgment or throw out an opinion on that.

One thing that cannot be denied was his feet in being part of the first party to climb the North Face. Having climbed the original route myself their feat astonishes me, especially when one realizes the technique and equipment used and the factor of being in uncharted territory.

A true mountaineer and adventurer, he will be always remembered.

Charles

Re: Heinrich Harrer

by Charles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:15 pm

there was a thread, but what you write is valid... you met the man. He was an interesting man

alpenkalb

by alpenkalb » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:35 pm

According to my knowledge, he did not have any crampons when he climbed the north face of the Eiger. Without Heckmair he would probably have died. He had no idea what kind of face he would climb.

Return to Europe