Help Layton Kor!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
JJ

Help Layton Kor!

by JJ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:32 am

Help Layton Kor, a climbing legend awaiting a kidney transplant. Go to http://laytonkorclimbing.com/

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:47 am

I might just help the fella out!

How do the climbing trips work though? You can win a day with one of these guys but what if you can't climb 5.10 (which some of the trips are) ?

welle

by welle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Luciano, you have a year to train, or be prepared to prussik up the cruxes ;)

rpc

by rpc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Luciano136 wrote:I might just help the fella out!

How do the climbing trips work though? You can win a day with one of these guys but what if you can't climb 5.10 (which some of the trips are) ?

then they make fun of you....that's why you should choose to be dom...I mean guided by Steph...maybe if you ask politely, she'll let you wear a rubber suit while she ties you up & then makes fun of you. :lol: :lol:

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:05 pm

rpc wrote:

then they make fun of you....that's why you should choose to be dom...I mean guided by Steph...maybe if you ask politely, she'll let you wear a rubber suit while she ties you up & then makes fun of you. :lol: :lol:

You know you would want her to tie you up :D

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Just noticed you can just do a regular donation, doh!

welle

by welle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 pm

but donating for a chance to climb with an elite climber is so much fun - wouldn't that be a great motivation to train? you can also select Eric Horst for the Gunks climb - pretty sure there'll be tons of classics within your ability...

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm

welle wrote:but donating for a chance to climb with an elite climber is so much fun - wouldn't that be a great motivation to train? you can also select Eric Horst for the Gunks climb - pretty sure there'll be tons of classics within your ability...

Looks like there might be a 5.8 route. It would still take a lot of training though LOL

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Has anyone verfied that this is legitimate?

jmeizis

by jmeizis » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:54 am

It's definately legitimate. I talked to the person in charge of it to make sure it wasn't someone else doing it. Layton Kor has done a ton for the sport of climbing and it's not a bad way to spend $25 to give back to one of climbing's legends. They're also selling signed photos for $50. They're some pretty cool photos for those who want a little bit of climbing history.

As for the climbing difficulty. I don't know about anybody else but I've climbed with Jimmy and he's a damn nice guy who loves climbing. I would imagine if you weren't super-psyched about the particular climb he'd get you on something easier.

Layton is still into climbing. Loves to talk about climbing and go climbing. He's got FA projects all over the country. It'd be great if he could get past his medical bills and be able to just go out climbing and every little bit counts.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:06 am

Luciano136 wrote:
rpc wrote:

You know you would want her to tie you up :D

Can I get her to tie me up? :shock:

oooo, beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks....

This is definitely legit. Layton's one of the legends of climbing. I'm in for a donation. Worst case scenario the winner sits around at the base of the climb with the lead, drinks beer, and tells lies. :wink:

Cheeseburglar

by Cheeseburglar » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 am

MarthaP wrote:
Can I get her to tie me up? :shock:

oooo, beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks....

This is definitely legit. Layton's one of the legends of climbing. I'm in for a donation. Worst case scenario the winner sits around at the base of the climb with the lead, drinks beer, and tells lies. :wink:

Classic! I guess I could donate some money, but I'd really like to offer one alcohol preserved and saturated kidney. What blood type is he? There is a route in Glenwood Canyon I need him to put up a fixed rope on so I can jumar the hard parts.

edit - woops! I offered my liver. I need that. I do have an extra kidney.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:50 am

Have you made your donation to Layton Kor yet?

There are three new photos available for purchase here: http://laytonkorclimbing.com/category/blog/.

I won the November Gear Giveaway for making a donation in October, and received all of the following gear:

1 pair Five Ten shoes
1 MSR Reactor stove
2 boxes Clif product
1 Mammut rope (9.8 x 60m Tusk rope)
1 prAna outfit (top and bottom)
1 prAna eco yoga mat
DVD from Sender Films
3 pack Stainless Steel tumblers from Backcountry.com

Get out there and help a fellow climber! You'll be entered into the December Gear Giveaway, or you can win other prizes.

Return to General