Help needed: Guiding gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
woodsxc

Help needed: Guiding gear

by woodsxc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm gonna be guiding backpacking and canoeing treks for the Boy Scouts this summer. I've done a lot of both, but never as a guide. Consequentially, I will need to pick up some gear (hells yeah!) but need some help selecting it. The paddling gear is where I really need help. I feel pretty good about my backpacking gear, but if there's some stuff that I really ought to have that might not appear on a standard gear list, please let me know. So, recommend away!

Background:
The trips will be 4 days and 50 miles at the most. I will be the only guide, but the treks will include at least one adult and at most 11 scouts. The backpacking will be in the Porcupine Mtns and the canoeing on the Flambeau flowage and River. For the most part, the paddling is flatwater (lake and river) but there is a 20 mile stretch that has a couple Class III rapids and numerous Class II's. I am confident in my ability to navigate these, but in the event that I end up with ill-prepared or unlucky people on one of my treks, I want to be equipped for river rescue.

Here's the list so far of river gear I'm gonna need to get:
PFD
Throw Bag
Emergency Whistle
Tow rope
Dive/River knife

So, what's missing? Which piece(s) are the ones to get above all others (I am still on a student budget). Also, I don't know what specs to look for in this stuff. 50 ft throw rope? 70? What diameter do I want for tow ropes? Is it really worth the extra $100 to $150 to get a PFD like these?
ImageImage

Please help me out. Thanks.

Brad F

by Brad F » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:53 pm

I would definitely check your local boating regulations to find out what the minimum safety requirements are for the area you will be paddling. Usually there is a specific requirement for every canoe on the water.

You might want to consider storage options for your food and gear. Waterproof bags such as the SealLine Boundary Pack are really handy, especially if you're getting into some whitewater. Barrels can also be used to store food and gear. Both these options will keep your gear dry.

If you're doing moslty flatwater canoeing, those PFDs look like overkill to me. You could definitely get buy with something much cheaper and spend the money you saved elsewhere. Just make sure that the PFD fits properly.

You should also have a bailing device or pump of some sort.

In Canada 50 feet is the minimum required length for your throw rope. Any length between 50 and 70 feet should be fine, but can also depend on how wide of a river you'll be on, whitewater conditions, etc.

A spare paddle can also be a life saver. If space is an issue, look for a two piece paddle.

What kind of canoes will you be using? You should have some sort of repair kit in case you bang up on some rocks and smash a hole in a canoe. I've used duct tape to patch small holes before.

Hope this helps.

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

You may want to consider including some "dry bags" to store food, cameras, and anything else you don't want to get wet in case you roll a canoe over. They can be purchased inexpensively in various sizes.

If you plan to have more than one canoe out on your trips, you may also want to include an extra paddle. Sooner or later, someone will drop one in the water at a very inconvenient time. I typically take along one extra paddle for three canoes so in that example I'll have a total of seven paddles on a trip with three canoes and six people.

On your PFD question, there are a lot of choices on the market at various prices. Some of the expensive PFDs include a lot of extra features because they double as fishing vests, etc. The most important consideration is a Coast Guard approved vest sized properly for either adults or children. You can get very useful and free advice to suit your specific situation from either a local Coast Guard office or your state's maritime police dept.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:33 pm

Sorry, should have clarified some stuff. The camp I'm working for is providing dry bags, fiberglass canoes, and paddles.

MJY

by MJY » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:43 am

I don't think you really need a rescue PFD. Something like an NRS Guru ought to be fine. For a river knife, both my dad and I use the Gerber River Runner. You can always spend more money, but the River Runner works pretty well for anything from cutting rope to spreading peanut butter. You sometimes have to file down the sheath a little bit to make it clip into the lash-tab on your PFD though.

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:58 am

On the PFDs - Unless you have swiftwater rescue training, rescue PFDs such as those you pictured are going to be completely overkill for your purposes. A standard recreational PFD designed for paddling (plenty of room for shoulder rotation) will be more than sufficient. Get what fits you comfortably and has the features you like (i.e. pullover v. zip up, lots of pockets, handwarmer pockets, etc...). It's a lot like buying a pack, you're going to be wearing it all the time so make sure it's comfortable and practical.

On throw ropes - Whatever you feel comfortable with, assuming there are no requirements set forth by the Boy Scouts (which presumably, this thing sort of things should be in a policies and procedures manual somewhere). However, these are items the camp should be providing with the canoes if they are sponsoring these kinds of trips; and each canoe should have their own, not just you.

On tow ropes - For canoes, on mostly flatwater, I would say it's called a throw rope on double duty. At least this is what I've done.

What's not on your list - A z-drag/Un-pin kit. Check out the one that NRS makes, you can probably make one yourself.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm not thinking of anything in particular right now.

EDIT - exchanged "useless" for "overkill"

Good luck
Last edited by mtngeek on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:44 am

a rescue vest is a really nice thing to have, with a strap and tow rope (~4 ft. long) that can quickly be released if needed. for the canoeing that your describing though it's not needed. pickup a dyneema throw rope
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... deptid=961
you won't regret it.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:12 pm

twoshuzz wrote:Generally speaking, regulations for guided river tours provided by licenced companies require the guide company to furnish type V PFD's for their clients. Type V PFD's have extra floatation provided as a flap (?) that is attached to the top/back of the PFD which provides extra floatation for the head in case the client is unconscious (face up) in the water. The PFD's in your pic are type III and are not for legal client use. They are the minmum required for a guide. You can find a plethora of type III's without the whistles and bells for roughly half the cost of those in your pic.

Your "camp" should be providing the proper gear for river running. If not, you may be held liable for any disastrous events. "Throw bags" generally contain no more than 25 - 40 ft. of rope. A z- drag kit (100 ft. static 1/2 inch rope, pulleys, biners and webbing) is advisable as is a guide per boat. Class III in a canoe with a bunch of inexperienced kids ain't no picnic. Your camp should provide everything for a safe and enjoyable trip for all.

I don't know the whole story, Woodsy. But I would be a bit leery and very careful of whom you are working for and exactly what they are asking of you.

The camp is providing the safety gear for the participants (clients). The camp has been running these trips for a long time. The minimum age is 13 and all the kids going are supposed to be experienced paddlers. I just want to be prepared if someone screws up.

I'm looking for stuff that I should have on my person.

Return to Gear