Help: Planning trip to Chile

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
travelin_light

Help: Planning trip to Chile

by travelin_light » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

My wife and I are heading to southern Chile for a quick trip (17 days) in April and I was wondering if anyone can help give some ideas on where to find some adventure. I love to climb but this is not going to be a climbing trip, just sight seeing, trekking and ropeless peak bagging (3rd-4th class would be ok).

I understand that temps can be a little cold during this time and my wife is not exactly what I would call an alpine warrior.

So I guess given our timing and the weather where would our time be best spent? Thanks guys!

Charles

p.s. we have the flight thing figured out while we are in Chile.

colint

by colint » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 pm

there is a lot of really cool stuff to see and do around San Pedro de Atacama. It is really outdoor semi-adventure tourist oriented, with hikes, mountain and road biking, amazing stargazing, climbing, nearby big volcanoes... It can be a tad pricey by S. American standards, but still really cheap by US standards. definitely worth 3-4 days.

jmatthys

by jmatthys » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 am

If you are looking to do some hiking, you should really check out Torres Del Paine. IMO it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is a great place to hike with a well established trail system, numerous campgrounds, and grandiose views. Weather won't be great in April, but that should keep the number of visitors down. PM me if you want any details...

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 am

Definitely hitting Torres del Paine. Hoping the weather won't be too bad.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Return to South America