Help with September 14er Hiking trip gear list

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
sneakyracer

Help with September 14er Hiking trip gear list

by sneakyracer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:13 am

Hi, I am going with several friends to hike the Barr trail up to Pikes Peak in mid to late September (probably around the 15-20) and I wanted to know how is the weather up there that time of year? We are also heading to the Loveland pass area for some day hikes (any suggestions are appreciated, we are staying in C Springs but will consider driving as far as Breckenridge). Are afternoon thunderstorms still a danger that time of year? I want to plan the trip accordingly.

My preliminary clothing list is the following (this is the stuff I already have) please critique:

Top:
- synth t shirt
- Patagonia Capilene 3 long sleeve 1/4 zip
- Marmot Catalyst Driclime windshirt
- Marmot PowerStretch fleece full zip jacket
- MH Typhoon GoreTex paclite shell (hood, pit zips)
- Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka (has hood) or First Ascent Igniter Jacket (synth insul. w/ hood)

Bottom:
- synth Boxer Briefs
- Patagonia Capilene 3 bottoms
- MH Navgation softshell pants or Marmot Scree softshell pants
- several wool socks
- Vasque Breeze GTX boots

Sleeping Bag: 20F or 30F synth. bag (will be sleeping in Barr Camp Hut)

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:27 am

Hi, I am going with several friends to hike the Barr trail up to Pikes Peak in mid to late September (probably around the 15-20) and I wanted to know how is the weather up there that time of year?

It varies greatly and is impossible to predict this far in advance. Most of the time it is good, but it can snow too. September is a good month to go, but go prepared.

If interested, here are the average conditions on Pikes Peak, but averages don't mean that much since it can vary greatly:

http://www.summitpost.org/fact-sheet/33 ... stics.html

Are afternoon thunderstorms still a danger that time of year? I want to plan the trip accordingly.

In early September they can be, but after mid-September they usually aren't a problem.

WingLady

by WingLady » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Scott wrote:
Are afternoon thunderstorms still a danger that time of year? I want to plan the trip accordingly.

In early September they can be, but after mid-September they usually aren't a problem.

***Usually*** is the key word here. We had our closest encounter with lightning near the top of Tabeguache in late September one year -- we ended up lying on the ground mumbling about lightning. Mother Nature doesn't always look at the calendar.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Thx for the advice!

I might tweak the clothing list closer to the departure date (seems like it will be the last week of september) but seems I have everything I need which is great, dont want to buy anything else (not that its a bad thing). I have searched trip reports online in the area and possible dates and seems there is a bit of everything. It seems snow above 11k feet in late september is quite common but trail conditions depends on the timing of my hike in regards to the storms that dump snow.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 am

Had to push back my date for the trip to the first or maybe even the second week of october. Hope I dont encunter much snow. Gear and clothing list wont change much but I might need to get crampons and knee gaiters when I get to Colorado Springs if the trail has enough snow to warrant their use.

Looking at last years weather records it seems it can be decently warm or it can be very cold, weather seems very variable that time of year.

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 am

sneakyracer wrote:Looking at last years weather records it seems it can be decently warm or it can be very cold

For that time of year in CO, that's not only last years weather, that's EVERY years potential.

Diggler

by Diggler » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:14 am

I would definitely favor a pair of poly thongs over the boxers, which are bulky, friction-inducing, & would slow you down in the long run.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm

sneakyracer wrote:Had to push back my date for the trip to the first or maybe even the second week of october. Hope I dont encunter much snow. Gear and clothing list wont change much but I might need to get crampons and knee gaiters when I get to Colorado Springs if the trail has enough snow to warrant their use.

Looking at last years weather records it seems it can be decently warm or it can be very cold, weather seems very variable that time of year.

You won't need crampons that time of year. (I've never used crampons on Barr Trail or the Crags Trail and I've climbed both routes many times in all seasons.) Chances are you won't need gaiters either, especially going up Barr Trail.
Last edited by mconnell on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrbrenvt

by jrbrenvt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:01 pm

I agree on the gaiters
Fleece or other warm hat (windstopper fleece is nice)
sun hat with bandana or something to keep the sun off your neck
balaclava
liner gloves
over mitts
On socks I like smart wool socks. I can't wear real wool against my skin. If you know you can fine, but if those socks are real wool I would have liner socks too.
Duct tape to pre tape any known blister hot spots on feet
Ski Goggles in case it's windy

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, hopefully you won't need most of this stuff.

Return to Colorado