High Sierra: Range of Light or Choss Pile Deluxe?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
lcarreau

Re: High Sierra: Range of Light or Choss Pile Deluxe?

by lcarreau » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am

NOT a purist, and don't really CARE what purists say ...

But, when Godzilla was walking out of Toyko Bay to create chaos on humanity, I bet HE didn't give a RATASS about approach routes OR whether or not a paved road led to a popular hiking area ! :o

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 am

Bob Burd wrote:The slab generally slides much faster than your feet since it rides on top and your feet are partially buried in the scree. With practice, you could probably get good enough at it to keep from killing yourself and have a nice ride. The trouble is getting the practice. Falling backwards off the slab is usually not too bad since you either fall on your butt or with some modicum of grace land on your feet and continue to slide in the wake of the careening slab. Falling forwards presents more problems, including the face full of gravel that you mention, but even worse is that the slab then runs you over and either bashes into your limb or torso, or skips over the top and takes little pieces of you with it. After one of these episodes, assuming you've survived, you're less likely to repeat the effort which of course is the only way to get better at it. This is all theoretical of course. :wink:

You could of course ride the slab backwards, if you fell forward you would likely bowl over yourself, and falling forwards wouldn't be too terrible...if one was really worried about falling off they could simply strap themselves to the slab
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:46 am

Or, you could FORGET the slab of rock all together, and grab yourself a cold bottle of a popular Aussie Brew ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
CSUMarmot

montaneer

by montaneer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 am

enjoy the journey wherever you climb. too many so called climbers these days care only about the end result. let the rest of us revel in their absence from the "tough approaches" climbs, and enjoy the experience they could only dream of. a higher transcendence and spiritual awakening awaits those who are open.

The following user would like to thank montaneer for this post
lcarreau, PellucidWombat, Princess Buttercup

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Steve...

I charge 50.00 an hour and will haul anything and everything you need to the base/s of any Eastside route....guaranteed.

All except your sorry whiney wanna-be skinnyass. I highly recommend you stay home and keep dreaming cuz all them route photos you are posting are most definitely never within your grasp.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Wrongo... the High Sierra is Choss Pile and everyone should stay away. Everyone including gym climbers such as yourself Steve.

BTW Steve: I aint no crack jack. Never claimed to be. But then again when it comes to slab/face, that is my gig. Anyone can climb cracks, anyone. Not all folks will even touch long runout slabs. And I know where there are tons of long slabs but unfortunately for you Steve, takes a couple of days of trudging to get to em. Thank GOD!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Time for a light-hearted diversion!

"Climbing would be a great, truly wonderful thing if it weren't for all that damn climbing."

To whom should we attribute this adage?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Oh yeah... the cracks I do enjoy climbing and do well at, are those that are 1/8" or smaller. In order to get to them in the High Sierra, again, entails long ass hikes in order to get to. All through and up steep dangerous choss piles.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

come on guys, can't we just stop the bellyachingbickering nonsene and just luv thy brother?!...

GREAT!!! glad you said NO!!!

but, i do have to admit, i always wondered why i am alone in the backcountry with nothing more than my gear, partner and the rocks... not really wondering, the answer is obvious... the high sierra is nothing short of choss, so stay away.

the crazy thing about all of this is I HATE HIKING with all of my heart... but it sure does get you to some great pieces of rock. never did understand mountaineering... or peak bagging for that matter...

just 2cents for a sackless city slicker who loves the high sierra rock!!!

The following user would like to thank x15x15 for this post
WML

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:23 am

The west side, is the best side.
The east side is all scree... :D

Previous

Return to California